"Free" GM / Chevrolet oil change service for first 2 times?

I bought my truck in June of 2016.

I have a few other vehicles and I tend to drive my truck when needed to haul stuff or complete house work, so I only put around 4,200 miles on my truck from June / 2016 till April/ 2017.

My oil percentage is now at 43% on my dash.

Being that I really don't like running oil in my truck for almost a full year with out its FIRST oil change I called my dealer where I got my truck from and they told me that I "Do Not yet qualify for my FIRST oil change under the free service in-till my truck reads OVER 6,000 Miles/ OR oil life is under 25%".

Am I at risk of possible engine damage running the same oil for so long?

Anyone else have a similar situation? Just curious...

I'm kinda glade I put on a oil catch can because here in NJ we have crazy fluctuations in temperature. This week alone we had 85 degree days and went back down to 23 degrees at night. My catch can had to be emptied several times over this winter, and i'm happy not to have those contaminates in my engine.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dealer I bought my 1st 2014 from didn't care what the milage or % was at. I'm sure if I wanted I could of gotten it changed every 100 miles if I wanted haha. If you want it changed they should do it. I agree with you on wanting to change year old oil regardless of what the milage is. I'm sure the manual says to change it regardless if the mile's after a certain time. Might not hurt to look it up if they are being Richard Craniums about it!

I don't think you will have any trouble pushing this situation forward, Your manual, if the same as mine, states that. "The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year". Try again or go to another dealer or phone gm customer service! We have a friend visiting now who claims the lowest she has ever changed her oil is at 80%. She does not drive s lot!

I would just show up for an oil change, or call back and say you don't recall the mileage, but state it's almost been a year.

Yeah, that's BS. I don't put many miles on my truck either, only about 7k miles per year. I had my first free change done around 6 months/3k miles and my second free change just done at almost 6 months again at 6500 miles. Dealer said I was a little early, but the dash said 10% life left and I was at their sticker date for time for a change. This second change was at around 340 engine hours total since new.

I also just have a hard time believing in oil lasting 7500 miles. I believe engine hours are what really matter more than miles anyways, but I still think it needs to be changed at minimum every 6 months if you don't hit the mileage before that.

Hell, I run Amsoil full synthetic in my race Quad and I still change the oil every 10 engine hours, so about every 3 rides for me. I got 10 years and 250 hours out of that motor before I touched anything internally. I put a new top end in it last spring just to be safe, and when I cracked it open, still had the cross hatches on the cylinder. Mean while my friends who rarely change their oil have gone through at least 2 motors in the same time frame.

$70 twice a year for an oil change in a $55,000 truck is simply cheap insurance in my opinion.

GM sent out a bulletin last year, there is no mileage or percentage requirement for the 2 free oil changes. Use them as you wish, I would tell the service advisor that oil that is 1 year old is ready to be changed out even by the GM service standards in the manual.

Archived