Gas Prices 2017 Thread

revrnd

Did gasoline prices in the US jump on Weds'? In Ontario they rose 6 cents a liter (roughly 16 cents US a gallon). The use the marketers are using is that the refiners are switching over from the winter formulation to the winter blend. I don't ever recall this excuse being used in the past.

It's been trending up for a bit now. Some of the news agencies said the spike was speculation related from the missiles we lobbed at Syria. Such crap since we don't really buy much oil from the middle east these days.

Engine Oil prices are rising fast as well. Most major oil companies have raised finished oil prices at least 2X since 1/1/17 and its being driven primarily by escalations in base oils and additive costs over the past several months. Avg. is about +10%. Shell's GTL plant in Qatar has been operations at 1/3 capacity for some time.

I gain 4+ mpg on summer blends.

Trying different things to regain.

an upper lube gas additive I found almost gains.. nothing to notice though.

here is difference of summer and winter

21mpg_apr2017_zps9i4dfgic.png

17mpg_April2017_zpsocjq3ozj.png

this in fuel price jumps.. about the same.

It's been trending up for a bit now. Some of the news agencies said the spike was speculation related from the missiles we lobbed at Syria. Such crap since we don't really buy much oil from the middle east these days.

True, but oil is a global commodity pricing thing. What we pay for crude, even our own within the U.S. is affected by world events. Still a lot of other folks who buy ME crude.

Edited by Cowpie

True, but oil is a global commodity pricing thing. What we pay for crude, even our own within the U.S. is affected by world events. Still a lot of other folks who buy ME crude.

Its also affected by the threat or possibility of an event, whether or not it actually happens or affects oil production.

I was too young to witness the gas shortages & rationing in the 80s, but I clearly remember one day in 2005 when I was working at Fleet Farm (supply store with attached gas station).

When hurricane Katrina was approaching the gulf, all the gas prices shot up $0.25 in one day. They were anticipating a disruption and shortage in gas and preemptively raised the price. Its comical how arbitrary the gas price really is. They charge whatever they can get away with.

• Like 1

Well, indeed, they charge what they can get by with. So does everyone else for everything, 365 days a year, around the world. But the gas folks cannot gouge too much, as many states have some pretty hefty fines for doing so. They can only price so much above what they are paying for the gas from the terminal, and the terminal pricing is based on the commodity market for gas. The market folks bid up the market price due to events, both globally and locally. The refineries only get what the market will pay for refined products and pricing down line reflects that.

I will charge a customer what I can get by with also. You want my semi to haul your freight, you do not get to determine the final price you will pay. We will haggle. If you are not willing to pay the minimum I will haul for, then find another truck. Gas stations are no different as is any other business entity.

Edited by Cowpie

If you are not willing to pay the minimum I will haul for, then find another truck. Gas stations are no different as is any other business entity.

That's exactly the difference between your trucking business and gas stations: If I'm not happy with your price, I have other options, some of which might offer a worse service for cheaper price. It's my choice to pay you more for your excellent service and reliability. You are not price gouging because I can shop around.

But there is really no alternative for gas. They all charge almost the same price in a given region, I have no other options. there is no competition. They all sell the same gas, No one offers a lesser product for a lower price that I can choose to purchase. The consumers see it as price gouging.

• Like 1

Well that is because all the stations in a geographic area get their gas from the same supply terminals, who get it at the current market price from the supply stream. But stations do have varying prices, depending on when they took delivery, as most businesses, including gas stations, use a Last In First Out pricing and accounting method.

Be glad you don't live in California, next year the price of a gallon will increase by .13 cents across the board.

I had heard that on Sirius the other day. Here in Ontario, they would add 13 cents a liter to the price. Just another plus to the metric system.

Then they'll use the nonsense w/ North Korea as another excuse to raise prices.