8-Speed and Blackbear Tuning Impressions?

Just installed my Blackbear Auto-Cal on my 17 AT 6.2 8-speed. First impressions is the light throttle shift is not very good at all. It seems to short shift all gear and TC lock up by like 40mph. Heavier throttle applications seem much better. I emailed BB to see what they think.

Anyone else have any impression with this tune and the 8-Speed? Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

Subscribed. I've wanted a BB tune on my 17 6.2 8-speed for a while now. I've read that he can't tune the trans because the tcm is locked. Pretty much just the motor can be tuned. Maybe that's what the problem is? How long have you had it tuned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They had some special instruction on getting the auto-cal to work on the 17s, but didn't say anything about not being able to tune the trans. It shifts totally differently now so I have to think it was tuned. I'll know more when I get a response back from BB. I just tuned it last night.

Paul

Just installed my Blackbear Auto-Cal on my 17 AT 6.2 8-speed. First impressions is the light throttle shift is not very good at all. It seems to short shift all gear and TC lock up by like 40mph. Heavier throttle applications seem much better. I emailed BB to see what they think.

Anyone else have any impression with this tune and the 8-Speed? Thanks for any info.

@wingsaa - We just had this conversation today about this and he mentioned about his his experience with BB and his TC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They CAN NOT tune the trans. HP Tuners can but the TCM has to be removed and mailed in. Subscribed to see what happens though

Ok you don't have to yell [emoji6]. But if they can't tune it then why is my transmission shifts acting totally different? Still waiting for a reply from BB so I'll update when I get one.

Im in same boat 2017 6.2 8 speed BB tuned my last 2 trucks so hoping to do soon

and yes EFI live not able to tune the TCM yet however AS I understand it he can take some Torque management out of the ECM which will make the trans shift feel different .......... My biggest complaint is throttle responsiveness or lack there of in stock tune

Edited by CDNSS

Im in same boat 2017 6.2 8 speed BB tuned my last 2 trucks :driving: and yes EFI live not able to tune the TCM yet however AS I understand it he can take some Torque management out of the ECM which will make the trans shift feel different .......... My biigest complaint is throttle responsiveness or lack there of :)

That makes since. Truck feels better and I guess I'll get used to it.

Paul

Keep us posted as to what BB says and how the tune works my past experiences with Justin was great he will work with you to get it adjusted ........ adjusted on tune via Autocal for AFM a few times still he got working great came in sooner stayed on longer in my 2010 5.3 6 spd 4.11 hope he do same on my new 6.2

Keep us posted as to what BB says and how the tune works my past experiences with Justin was great he will work with you to get it adjusted ........ adjusted on tune via Autocal for AFM a few times still he got working great came in sooner stayed on longer in my 2010 5.3 6 spd 4.11 hope he do same on my new 6.2

Will do. Justin is who I emailed. They've been great to work with so far so I'm sure they'll get something figured out.

Oh I did turn my AFM completely off. I have a borla S-Type so I didn't want any drone in 4-cyl mode. Plus I have 34" tires so it rarely came on anyway.

Ok you don't have to yell [emoji6]. But if they can't tune it then why is my transmission shifts acting totally different? Still waiting for a reply from BB so I'll update when I get one.

it may be acting different due to throttle positioning with the tune on the on the motor, or the change could be changes to the motor felt through the trans

• Like 1

Yes lots turn it off I chose to tune it so its works but it definitely works better with low rear gear especially with taller tires I had 33" tires with 4.11 and a 6 speed V4 worked great I had headers and magmnaflow cat back V4 was not annoying to me sound differnt but not bad IMO

New truck no headers but GM Corsa cat back no V4 helicoptor sound :)

• Like 1

I feel you with the torque converter locking and cutting my power band during acceleration. It was annoying but Justin just sent me some new tunes and it's so much better. If they can do that for your 8 speed (I have a 5.3 6 speed) you're gonna really be happy

Edited by Abearclaw
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...