P0172, P0175 too rich, 07 6.2 about to throw in the towel

chucksrt

Question

I have a 07 Yukon denali xl with 120,000 miles on it. I started getting a check engine light a month or two ago. I researched it and replaced items that are common to causing this issue. I didn't care if it was the fault or not because of the miles i just figured the new parts would help it regardless. I started by replacing the EVAP purge solenoid. That actually seemed to help me fill the tank to full better? I then replaced the mass air flow sensor, again, i have cleaned it but thought a new one wouldn't hurt. Then i replaced the MAP sensor. I know that they can be a common point of failure. It seemed to run better but still had the C.E.L. i took it to a friends shop and he wasn't much help. He pretty much looked it up on Mitchell and said it sounds like the fuel injectors are bad. I bought a used set of injectors and sent then to FIC to be cleaned and flow tested. I received them yesterday and installed them and on my maiden voyage the codes returned in pending. I am at a loss!? I am going to take it to GMC to look at ir bur i do not know what else to check. Any thoughts or have you run into a similar issue where something else fixed it?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have your filling issues gone away?

I have not gilled up since. I was afraid to fill up then have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump.

The stabilitrack light coming on just tells me that a code just set in pending. In this case the code that set was for the P0172, P0175. If it ends up being a worn engine issue then i will take it back to the dealer because my extended warranty covers that. I don't feel as if i have any loss of power while driving and i would like to think that thecodes are related to the hard start but i am pretty sure they are two different issues. But i am not really familiar with this returnless fuel system.

Something to think about ...

Rich codes that never go away are also a sign of a worn out engine. I'd do a compression & leak down test at this stage to see where you're at - compression at the very least. Hard starting & a rough idle go hand in hand with low compression.

Stabilitrak codes are unrelated to this - normally ABS issues, or steering position sensor problems will cause that. A very common issue with these.

The scantool was delivered today! Just meed to get home to check it. I hope it shows the fuel pressure sensor reading (it is kinda a cheepy scantool) Autel AL619 scantool.

Another odd issue that may or may not be related. My fuel used gauge always says a different amount than the amount of fuel i actually used. If the guage says i used 21 gallons when i fill up it will take 26 gallons to fill it.

The safety lock on the GM spares are awful. The lock is supposed to release when you crank the wheel up. They always stick. I have gotten some to release by cranking the wheel up and whack the end of the winch cable that holds the rim.Use a hammer.That will usually jar the lock loose so it can be winched down.Good luck. I have had to cut the cable with a torch a time or two.

Yep - just about all of them come down with the fire wrench in this part of the country.

As far as the running / starting problems go, you could have a bad "new" MAF sensor. At this stage, that seems to be the only suspect component. Need a multimeter that reads Hz (Hertz) to properly diagnose.

Here ya go: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.8L-5.3L-6.0L/testing-the-maf-sensor-1

Awesome link. I am pretty sure my meter does hz. I am also going to pick up a fuel pressure guage today.

I believe the regulator on that system is part of the pump assembly in the tank, since it's a single-line system. You could've had a bad regulator that was allowing excessive fuel pressure to the rail - I can't remember if you checked the fuel pressure or not prior ...

Either way, glad to hear you've made headway on this one! :thumbs::cheers:

Regulator is in the tank on this one. Single line - returnless system, non-DI. The data here just confirms the rich condition, but doesn't tell us much else.

Is this a flex vehicle? I don't see it in the parameters, so I don't know if that's the fault of the tool, or that the truck isn't flex ...

It is not a flex vehicle. The fuel tank pressure sensor, coolant semsor and the o2 sensors are the only things i haven't replaced. The o2's seem to be switching when checking live data. I did not pay notice to the coolant temp readings.

Freeze data for P0175

Fuel sys 1 status CL

Fuel sys 2 status CL

Calc load value 69.0%

Coolant temp 140 F°

Short term fuel trim bank 1 -8.6%

Long term fuel trim bank 1 -20.3%

Short term fuel trim bank 2 -9.4%

Long term fuel trim bank 2 -20.3%

Intake MAP 13.1psi

Engine RPM 2133rpm