I know there are a ton of posts about frame rust and Fluid Film but I wanted to post my experience and to warn everyone. I like many others want to keep this truck a while. When I asked the sales rep at my dealer about the frame wax, he said to use Fluid Film... I also read both good and bad things on this forum. As the winter was fast approaching, I had to do something so went the FF route. Mostly just around where there were welds and holes in the frame. My friend has a 2014 with plenty of rust so I targeted specific areas that I saw on his truck. Well after one winter, here is the result. EDIT: Yes it was after using a regular garden hose nozzle for washing.

post-158055-0-98863600-1492457809_thumb.jpg

It just peels off like black latex. I know I took a chance, (and did see the warning on the can about possible effects on different undercoats) but was hoping it would just soften and then stay "fluidy"- not actually fall off. Don't get me wrong, FF is a great product and its GM's fault that they cheaped out on the frame wax. I have since ordered and applied the Amsoil HD Metal Protectant so we'll see how that goes.

I just wanted to get some solid evidence out there for others. Again, I am not bashing Fluid Film, just warning people not to use it on the frame.

Did it peel back on it's own, or did you rub/scratch it off? Did it come off using a pressure washer? I would like more info. I bought two cans but have yet to apply it. I know a lot of people on here use it, so knowing more information is power.

Did it peel back on it's own, or did you rub/scratch it off? Did it come off using a pressure washer? I would like more info. I bought two cans but have yet to apply it. I know a lot of people on here use it, so knowing more information is power.

It was after using a regular garden hose - not power washer. I updated the original post. What you see was literally peeled off using low pressure water.

OP, GM's frame coating is a wax-like film (Nox Rust X-121B), it comes off with the scrap of your fingernail.... a pressure washer cut human flesh to the bone, so that means nothing. Nox Rust X-121B was designed this way and that's what GM wanted. Its not what the customer wants but that's another story.

2ndly how close where you with the pressure washer? I have a home pressure washer with 3200psi I dont get that close to the frame and it's just fine.

I bought a 12 pack for touch ups, every time it goes to the dealer or I add my GM borla I scrape a little here and there, spray let dry and done, did this on my 2013 Denali 4 years no issues Nox Rust X-121B, do the same on my 2016 Denali

https://www.daubertchemical.com/store/product-list/corrosion-prevention/nox-rust-x-121b

lastly when you mix 2 coatings without research you asking for trouble it may soften the Nox Rust X-121B, I mean you did combine 2 rust preventives, but by the looks of how close you are to the frame any pressure washer will do that to wax.

I've made mention of this on various posts. Don't use anything but the NoxRust on the frames. Fluid Film and other aerosol rust protection items will wipe that wax off really fast.

The wax works fine as long as it cures. Its not GM's fault that what you sprayed took it off.

OP, GM's frame coating is a wax-like film (Nox Rust X-121B), it comes off with the scrap of your fingernail.... a pressure washer cut human flesh to the bone, so that means nothing. Nox Rust X-121B was designed this way and that's what GM wanted. Its not what the customer wants but that's another story.

2ndly how close where you with the pressure washer? I have a home pressure washer with 3200psi I dont get that close to the frame and it's just fine.

I bought a 12 pack for touch ups, every time it goes to the dealer or I add my GM borla I scrape a little here and there, spray let dry and done, did this on my 2013 Denali 4 years no issues Nox Rust X-121B, do the same on my 2016 Denali

https://www.daubertchemical.com/store/product-list/corrosion-prevention/nox-rust-x-121b

lastly when you mix 2 coatings without research you asking for trouble it may soften the Nox Rust X-121B, I mean you did combine 2 rust preventives, but by the looks of how close you are to the frame any pressure washer will do that to wax.

I was only using a garden hose, not a pressure washer. Also, I was just trying to prevent rust from occurring in known areas based on a recommendation from the a salesman and reading here.

I've made mention of this on various posts. Don't use anything but the NoxRust on the frames. Fluid Film and other aerosol rust protection items will wipe that wax off really fast.

The wax works fine as long as it cures. Its not GM's fault that what you sprayed took it off.

No I guess it is not their fault but that I was trying to prevent the frame from becoming a rusty mess. The wax does not work in my opinion as it scraps off easily and cracks over time allowing metal to be exposed. I have looked at other frames from similar years and they are a mess. Once the metal starts to rust, I can't imagine spraying wax back over it will help. All I was really implying is that we shouldn't even have to worry about this on trucks that are 2-3 years old. I mean mine only has 8800 miles and there is rust wherever the wax is scraped off. Sorry but I wasn't trying to start an argument, just wanted to post some hard evidence since there are a lot of post stating that FF is fine on the wax.

No I guess it is not their fault but that I was trying to prevent the frame from becoming a rusty mess. The wax does not work in my opinion as it scraps off easily and cracks over time allowing metal to be exposed. I have looked at other frames from similar years and they are a mess. Once the metal starts to rust, I can't imagine spraying wax back over it will help. All I was really implying is that we shouldn't even have to worry about this on trucks that are 2-3 years old. I mean mine only has 8800 miles and there is rust wherever the wax is scraped off. Sorry but I wasn't trying to start an argument, just wanted to post some hard evidence since there are a lot of post stating that FF is fine on the wax.

No argument here lol. I learned what FF does to that stuff same way. Worked great protecting the hitch and axles and sheet metal, but man that frame... Brake cleaner does the same thing to the stuff, except that eats it instantly.

Update: I sprayed the Amsoil HD Metal Protector on the spot after I wiped the FF and wax off and man is that stuff nice! It really does what it says and dries to a non-tacky wax and doesn't penetrate/loosen the existing wax. So far so good.

Fluid film and the factory wax stuff don't play well with each other. My 2015 is slowly getting the fluid film as needed or on spots where I see rust. Eventually it will be coated twice a year.

Wife's 2006 yukon has 130k on it and fluid film from day one. Still looks new underneath. Liquid gold!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived