Neutral for HD transfer case

I remember seeing someone say the other day that there was no neutral for the HD transfer cases. I can't find that post now, but I knew that wasn't the case. All you have to do is put the transmission into neutral, then turn the t-case selector knob from 2 - high all the way to the right, past 4-low. There's a spring loaded spot there. Once you have it there, you need to hold it until the t-case shifts. [emoji2] a070fe7d0cb02c274be4dbf35b535dfa.jpg001a7b15229ebaba05014db61366b8b3.jpg

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I remember seeing someone say the other day that there was no neutral for the HD transfer cases. I can't find that post now, but I knew that wasn't the case. All you have to do is put the transmission into neutral, then turn the t-case selector knob from 2 - high all the way to the right, past 4-low. There's a spring loaded spot there. Once you have it there, you need to hold it until the t-case shifts. [emoji2] a070fe7d0cb02c274be4dbf35b535dfa.jpg001a7b15229ebaba05014db61366b8b3.jpg

That was me that posted in the 'what did you miss from previous truck' thread (or something like that). I hadn't really noticed the N on the switch on my '17since it's not readily noticeable.

I was able to switch it into N, not quite as quick as my other trucks. There is no 'Neutral' message displayed on the Offroad screen of the DIC on mine. I'll have to ask my brother about it on his '16.

I like my old fashion lever. No guessing.

And, well, I'm old.

LOL Old school like me.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

If vehicle ever needs to be towed with two or four wheels on the ground you need to place the t-case in neutral to prevent destroying it. Without the ability to put it in neutral your only option is to pull the driveshaft(s).

Im curious why the need for neutral? Just thinking out loud here, I have 3 chevy 4x4 trucks in our family but cant remember ever even needing a neutral.

Comes in handy if you want to flat tow it behind a motorhome. That is the main reason I buy Jeep's with 4x4 and a transfer case that has a neutral. I have seen some folks towing an HD 4x4 pickup.

Comes in handy if you want to flat tow it behind a motorhome. That is the main reason I buy Jeep's with 4x4 and a transfer case that has a neutral. I have seen some folks towing an HD 4x4 pickup.

That's the main reason they have neutral

I like my old fashion lever. No guessing.

And, well, I'm old.

Me too. I much preferred shift lever Tcases. There are some things that are better left alone.

• Like 2

When I took delivery of my truck I asked the sales guy how to put transfer case into Neutral (didn't notice the "N" on the knob). He said you couldn't. Then I read the Owners Manual.

Lol...got to love car sales people...

Me too. I much preferred shift lever Tcases. There are some things that are better left alone.

I was i that camp to, til I figured out that the same front axle engage system came with either version of the transfer case. BIL found out that if the front axle actuators don't do their thing, it doesn't matter where the floor lever is.

• Like 1