Neutral for HD transfer case

I was i that camp to, til I figured out that the same front axle engage system came with either version of the transfer case. BIL found out that if the front axle actuators don't do their thing, it doesn't matter where the floor lever is.

um .., the point of having the transfer case shifter on the floor is to impress chicks, who cares about this "actuator" thingy?

• Like 1

um .., the point of having the transfer case shifter on the floor is to impress chicks, who cares about this "actuator" thingy?

I thought that was why they had to have an 8" lift??

• Like 2

I was i that camp to, til I figured out that the same front axle engage system came with either version of the transfer case. BIL found out that if the front axle actuators don't do their thing, it doesn't matter where the floor lever is.

Well, the t-case will have selected 4 wheel drive, the front axle disconnect is a different system. Front lock out hubs on an IFS system might work.

Im curious why the need for neutral? Just thinking out loud here, I have 3 chevy 4x4 trucks in our family but cant remember ever even needing a neutral.

I used it when loading my snowmobile into the back of my truck @ night. Parking brake on, T/C in neutral & trans' in reverse, I had the extra light from the backup lights to assist with positioning my ramp.

I spent probably half an hour 1 winter night trying to get the front axle to disconnect in my S15. Drove out of a snowfall on the highway & the road ahead was dry. Put the case in 2Hi & I can still feel the steering is stiff. Pull into a parking lot & back & forth, in & out of 4WD several times, before the axle finally disconnected. Not sure if the vacuum disconnect on the S trucks was any better than the ill-conceived 'wax-pellet/heater' system used in the GMT400s. Great idea when the axle is bloody cold in the snowbelt.

Before that was replaced by a solenoid set up, I recall seeing a product in 4WOR where you turned a handle (connected to a cable mechanism) that engaged or disengaged the axle.

• 4 years later...