Quiet performace Exhaust

Some things in life are better hired out. The local muffler shop will put on my FlowMaster for $75 labor, no appointment needed. Other things I have done myself, but always hire out now after seeing how much work, skill and tools are involved: Engine rebuilding, auto painting, upholstery, tire work, alignments etc. Home roofing, garage doors, concrete work, flooring, sheetrock, plumbing etc.

Some of use have the skill, tools and willing to do the work... I don't pay people to do anything. If I don't know how to do it, I'm going to do everything in my power to figure out how. I'm a welder, I darn sure I can get done metal pipe attached to my truck. ( I say this in a joking manner)

Do any of the exhaust manufacterers make a true duel exhaust package. Full duel front to back?

It would be an interesting system - given the odd numbers of cats..........

Some of use have the skill, tools and willing to do the work... I don't pay people to do anything. If I don't know how to do it, I'm going to do everything in my power to figure out how. I'm a welder, I darn sure I can get done metal pipe attached to my truck. ( I say this in a joking manner)

Understood - I trained and worked in auto-body - built my own house - restore old cars - etc - But the old saying "Jack of all trades, and Master of none"...... applies to me..........

:)

Understood - I trained and worked in auto-body - built my own house - restore old cars - etc - But the old saying "Jack of all trades, and Master of none"...... applies to me..........

:)

Beats my title of "Master of Disaster" lol. I think hard about doing things because when putting things back together I'm that guy with several extra parts.

When you search online I note that Jegs and a few speed shop places like that have them but they are in a million pieces. Welding them together would look like a patchwork. Not the way I would go, and having a system made at a muffler shop would not be good either if they just used steel pipe.

Guess you have to stay cat back. But as others have said $1200 us for 10 HP may not be worth it for a Borla system. I have installed Gibsons a couple of times and they were good to. At that time they were costing $800 can.

Either the Borla touring or Corsa Touring systems are going to be the quietest cat backs for these trucks and both run about 1200 bucks you can find both on you tube if you want an idea of what they sound like. personally I like the sound of the Corsa. Gibson claims their single swept is quiet no chop or drone and is by far the cheapest at about 500 for the aluminized and 600 for the Stainless Steel.

since you have a 5.3 I would suggest the GM Performance exhaust ( Corsa ) huge 28" muffler no flapper no no resonator it si quiet at idle and at WOT most would not like it

I just installed on my new 6.2 perfect no drone no V4 odd sound and my intake is louder at WOT fits great Upgrade over stock for sure they say 60% more flow than stock This is same exhaust they install on the ALL Terrain X

Quieter than Borla an quieter than Corsa touring you can tell GM had some input barely hear it at idle in cab cruise just like stock but nice rumble at idle like stock 6.2 camaro maybe a little quieter

This must be the system you speak of. I didn't know this was available. Thank for the heads up I've been looking for a nice exhaust system almost as quiet as stock with just a bit of rumble to it. Almost pulled the trigger on the Corsa touring.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Pickup
Change Vehicle Back to Product List
15_CHE_SIL_WBC_LVL4_1_1_04.JPG
*All images are representative of the product. Actual Product may vary.
Performance Exhaust

Part Name: Chevrolet Performance Exhaust Upgrade Package, Short Wheelbase with 5.3L V8 Engine

Part #: 23462045

Brand: Chevrolet OEM

MSRP:
$1,195.00
Add To Cart

Yes thats it I have the 6.2 version since its in the Chevy catalog it has a chevy bowtie engraved on tip

Fit is excellent not close to crossmember But it is quiet until you go wot and even then mild deep sound I still have stock intake so no intake noise

That would be great. That is the other issue, I am not trying to spend a tons of money changing it, because the bang for the buck isn't that great. no matter how much you spend. I don't need to pay $1200 for 10 hp. I ned to change my exhaust cause I damaged the one on it and it now rattles. I would like a nicer sound and, if an Added intake throttle body and exhaust and can imporve my MPG then that would be good. But I guess that's a whole other topic thread.

Update on this ...

I actually just got the GM Borla installed today. P/N 19303337 with the flapper. WIthout having put too many miles on it, my first impression is, wow. At idle, it purrs. During acceleration, it sounds real throaty and like a V8 should sound. At cruising speeds you can hear it, but it's barely noticeable. You could easily take it on a long vacay and it wouldn't be annoying at all. I drove straight home from the shop, so I haven't really had it in V4 enough to hear if it sounds choppy, but maybe it doesn't.

On a side note, the guy who installed it for me said that he's installed numerous catbacks and said this was easily the highest quality kit he's seen.

I will follow up again once I have some more miles on it.

Update on this ...

I actually just got the GM Borla installed today. P/N 19303337 with the flapper. WIthout having put too many miles on it, my first impression is, wow. At idle, it purrs. During acceleration, it sounds real throaty and like a V8 should sound. At cruising speeds you can hear it, but it's barely noticeable. You could easily take it on a long vacay and it wouldn't be annoying at all. I drove straight home from the shop, so I haven't really had it in V4 enough to hear if it sounds choppy, but maybe it doesn't.

On a side note, the guy who installed it for me said that he's installed numerous catbacks and said this was easily the highest quality kit he's seen.

I will follow up again once I have some more miles on it.

thanks for the update!!

Just installed a GM borla kit on my 2017 5.3L 1500, side exit with the black chrome tips, and I love it so far, drove about 400 miles on it yesterday across the state and back and it didn't annoy me at all. Very little drone and I was all over the map as far as cruising speeds go, the V4 chop was hardly noticeable, you'd have to be listening for it to notice. Sounds real nice on a cold start, and it definitely roars when you stomp on it. I do have a K&N CAI so that probably adds a little bit to the sound, overall I could not be happier. Also, go for those black chrome tips if you do it, they look awesome. I had a Magnaflow kit, dual rear exit, on my 2011 Silverado (5.3L as well) and it had a very noticeable V4 chop at certain speeds. The exhaust sounded great, pretty comparable to the GM borla kit, maybe a tad louder. But that V4 chop was too much of a con to outweigh the pros. Personally, I'd either just go muffler delete or dish out the cash for a GM borla kit, unless you plan on shutting off the AFM. Hope that helps, I was in the same boat as you a week or 2 ago, you can go down a wormhole on these forums looking at exhaust options lol.

Bob

thanks for the update!!

The more I have driven since getting the GM Borla put on, the more impressed I am. Hard to explain, because I'm not a mechanic genius like half the posters here, but it has to be the flapper valve. When I got rid of it before and had the Maggie installed, I felt like I lost pressure or something. It would go into V4 and I'd barely have any power at all. Now when it goes into V4, I can tell that there's still enough pressure that I can give it throttle and maintain a good cruising speed. Plus, that transition from V4-V8-V4 is now much smoother.

Whatever you decide to do, I would recommend not deleting the flapper valve. I think you'll regret it. If I were in your shoes, I'd get my exhaust repaired or find a stock one at a junkyard to replace it. I'd then invest that $ into a CAI or something so the engine sound is a little more noticeable.

• 2 months later...

Black Chrome tips Hmmm that sounds interesting. I might just go ahead and get another GM Borla on this 2017 6.2 but with the Black Chrome tips this time. I will for sure be saving the factory system this time around as I did not get anything out of that expense when I sold the 2016

157-20162.jpg

Archived