6 or 8 speed tranny

I'm getting ready to trade my 2011 Sierra in on a 2017 and I was thinking about getting one with an 8 speed tranny. My truck is my daily driver/farm truck/tow 8700lb camper truck. I have not heard anything good or bad about the 8 speed so I'm looking for some insight on it.

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 2017 Sierra 8sp with the 6.2lt tow packge (3.42). Great so far. Pulled snowmobile trailer all winter. Excellent shifting and power balance. No issues love it so far. Hate the tires that come with the truck. Other than that A-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the power the 6.2 has I think the 6 speed is perfect. I've had both and I believe the 8 speed is a tick slower. It's not as predictable either. I had high hopes for my 8 speed but now the only high is being had by the morons that wrote the factory programming. I would trade for a 6 speed any day. I will say that when you really get on it from a stop it really works well. It's taking off slow and also stop and go traffic that it lacks in. Also the mysterious clunk that happens sometimes when you are almost to a stop.

It seems the eight is ok for towing and full throttle runs but the six is a better daily driver.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

The 8 speed comes with a locked TCM from the factory..will have to pay a hefty price to get it unlocked if you wish to tune the vehicle through a company like Black Bear.

Just something to consider!

If you are looking for used or GM certified. The 2014 6.2 has the 6 speed. 2015 and up 8 speed only. The 5.3 is avail with 6 speed or 8 speed depending on trim level.

I'm friends with the service manager at my local GMC dealership, he has said that the 8 speed has been nothing but problems for people. This was back towards when they first came out, not sure if it's been fixed recently or not.

I'm getting ready to trade my 2011 Sierra in on a 2017 and I was thinking about getting one with an 8 speed tranny. My truck is my daily driver/farm truck/tow 8700lb camper truck. I have not heard anything good or bad about the 8 speed so I'm looking for some insight on it.

Thanks

... I can't speak to the towing, but I had a 2016 6 speed and currently have a 2016 8 speed (both 5.3s). Both shift rough periodically when searching in the lower gears, but never noticed anything over 4+ on either. I will say that the 8 speed feels much quicker off the line (more responsive). The 6 speed felt a bit sluggish to me. I think both options would treat you good, but I'd throw my vote in for the 8 speed if possible. Best of luck!

MIne has that once in a blue moon along with the rough first to second shift when costing around parking lot and you bleep the throttle alittle to get a little more momentum. Otherwise the transmission works great i have no complaints i had both a 6 speed in my old 14 and the 8 speed in my 17. i would choose the 8 speed again it run and perform better and get better millage then my previous truck.

Archived