New Tahoe? ?

I left '16 sierra SLT 5.3, 3;42 rear. My driving style yielded 15-19 mpg. I bought a '15 Denali Yukon XL which has the 8 speed 6.2, 3.23 gears. Gets 21 mpg all day easily. I couldnt believe the 6.2 gets better mileage but the 8 speed has alot to do with it I am sure. The 6 speed hunts for gears only when towing for the most part. Good luck

I'm well aware of afm and hill assist. I'm on my 5th gm vehicle with those options. I'm more concerned about gear ratio. I had a local person tell me his 2016 tahoe with 3.08 gears constantly down shifted with the cruise set on 75. He does encounter some hilly stretches of interstate. He advised me to get 3.42 gears to help eliminate that issue..

Sounds like I have the same driving conditions and average cruising speeds as the local person you mentioned. Something must be wrong with his truck or right with mine, I have a 2015 and my truck has never downshifted with the cruise set at any speed between 65 & 80. Now during a cruise I do see AFM adjusting based on a grade, but that never involves any downshift. Did he read somewhere in a GM fullsize SUV TSB that the truck constantly downshifts with the cruise set at 75 and 3.42 gears will fix this? If he did or didn't, not true of my 3.08.

It's probably indicative of the roads he drives. He commutes between Kerrville and Sonora TX on I-10. There's some pretty steep hills through that stretch of interstate.

Archived