I have not kept up a lot with GM trucks the last few years. The keeping up I have done mostly revolves around the Gen V motor.

Anyway, I am little surprised to find out that none of the full size rigs offer AWD anymore. Is this correct?

For the last 12 years or more, AWD was available on the Denali, Escalade and Silverado SS in the form or a viscous coupling or a open center differential.

As far I can tell, all trucks including Denali trim Yukon and Escalade now only offer a 2 speed driver selectable 4WD transfer case.

Are there any K2XX rigs that have AWD?

Any discussion on this? Buyer demand? I know there was some complaints about performance of the last generations open center differential and it's performance on snow.

Thanks!

Fuel economy killed the AWD SUV's and Trucks...

For real? EPA testing is only done in 2WD I assume?

Surely there is more to it than that. These are not the economy leaders for GM... But they sure do make up a big chunk of volume production

For real? EPA testing is only done in 2WD I assume?

Surely there is more to it than that. These are not the economy leaders for GM... But they sure do make up a big chunk of volume production

It wouldn't surprise me if fuel economy came into play. They only test the trucks in whatever the default mode is. And every little bit helps when it comes to fleet fuel economy. My other guess is just consolidation of features. Having an AWD transfer case means additional parts.

I guess I will chalk it up to:

-Fuel Economy/GHG Emissions

-Consumers not demanding it

-Production simplification and cost reduction

I guess it just surprises me, when damn near every German crossover/SUV and many other downmarket vehicles have AWD standard or optional but promote it heavily.

I am not against it. They are trucks after all. But it at least seems like the Escalade or Denali might offer it to be competitive. They sell like hotcakes anyway, so GM will keep on keeping on.

In the end the auto 4WD setting is basically the same as AWD. Of course whether or not it's okay to run auto all the time is subject to a massive debate here. lol

Archived