2008 Silverado 1500 - Needs engine Advice

Hello all, This is my first post.

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 Extended Cab with the 5.3L Flex Fuel engine (200k miles),

VIN = 1GCEK19J18Z131978

The engine has been ticking for years now, especially in the morning. I sometimes get low oil pressures. Recently, when I go to get my oil changed, they say I am about a quart low. The last few times, I have been a quart low, and had already put another quart in before, so that is basically burning 2 quarts per 5,000 miles. I have been thinking on just going out and buying a new truck, and selling the old one before the engine gives out. I went to Chevy dealership, and they told me it would be 8k for a new engine.

A buddy of mine, told me to check out a website, that sold reman engines. So I did, and it says I can get a new engine for around $2,600 + 350 core. So I could have it in place for around $3,500. I have several questions because I have never put another engine in a truck.

I currently have the Flex Fuel engine, which drops the engine from a V8 to a V4 at times of rest. I have heard from several people, that is the reason my engine always ticks. Can I put in an engine that doesnt have the flex fuel option, or do I have to replace with exact engine. If I can, does this make the install any harder? Modification of parts, different electronics, etc? Should i even consider this, or just go back with flex fuel?

How long do remans last? The place I saw, said they give you a 100k mile warranty. I would be perfectly fine with 100k miles out of another engine, as I would probably buy another before I hit any more than 300k.

Any suggestions on where to order one of these engines from? What is the normal for pricing of these reman engines? Any places to steer clear?

What should I expect as costs to have the engines switched over?

thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Flex fuel means it's E85 compatible. AFM is what makes your engine go from 8 cylinders to 4.

As far as I know the ticking is most likely the lifters as I had this happen on my 2011 6.2 that didn't have AFM yet would tick every morning at start up for anywhere from a minute to 5 minutes depending on how cold it was.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I've had two reman engines in the past. One was the 4.3 in my old S10 ZR2 and the other was in my Jeep (a 4.0). Both were good engines. I put 100k on the Chevy and I have around 60k on the Jeep. They both run strong and I didn't have to do anything to either one (still driving the jeep daily).

All I know is don't buy the cheapest reman you can find and try and stick with a reputable brand. I think you'll do fine.

I think most of what you're talking about can be disabled via a programmer but someone else with more experience in those systems should probably pipe up.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

3500 can make 8 or 9 payments on a new one. Will your '08 go another 8 or 9 months without any other repairs? Does it have any value now? I got $6000 for an 08 G8 on the new SS, sweet deal!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your engine is not giving out. They all run that way for many more years to come. If you are only burning 2Q of oil in 5k miles, you got a good one!

I am not sure if you are joking or if you are serious.

I am not sure if you are joking or if you are serious.

It's a toss up half the time with OJ. A quart every 2500is well within specs according to GM, for what thats worth.

Current and replacement engine will be flex fuel, that just means it will run E85. If it was me, I would contact: https://www.texas-speed.com/

and get the DOD/AFM delete kit and install it in your existing engine. https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3255-dodafmvvt-delete-kit_chevrolet.aspx

It's a toss up half the time with OJ. A quart every 2500is well within specs according to GM, for what thats worth.

Current and replacement engine will be flex fuel, that just means it will run E85. If it was me, I would contact: https://www.texas-speed.com/

and get the DOD/AFM delete kit and install it in your existing engine. https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3255-dodafmvvt-delete-kit_chevrolet.aspx

Will doing this resolve my burning oil and ticking issue?

Hello all, This is my first post.

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 Extended Cab with the 5.3L Flex Fuel engine (200k miles),

VIN = 1GCEK19J18Z131978

The engine has been ticking for years now, especially in the morning. I sometimes get low oil pressures. Recently, when I go to get my oil changed, they say I am about a quart low. The last few times, I have been a quart low, and had already put another quart in before, so that is basically burning 2 quarts per 5,000 miles. I have been thinking on just going out and buying a new truck, and selling the old one before the engine gives out. I went to Chevy dealership, and they told me it would be 8k for a new engine.

A buddy of mine, told me to check out a website, that sold reman engines. So I did, and it says I can get a new engine for around $2,600 + 350 core. So I could have it in place for around $3,500. I have several questions because I have never put another engine in a truck.

I currently have the Flex Fuel engine, which drops the engine from a V8 to a V4 at times of rest. I have heard from several people, that is the reason my engine always ticks. Can I put in an engine that doesnt have the flex fuel option, or do I have to replace with exact engine. If I can, does this make the install any harder? Modification of parts, different electronics, etc? Should i even consider this, or just go back with flex fuel?

How long do remans last? The place I saw, said they give you a 100k mile warranty. I would be perfectly fine with 100k miles out of another engine, as I would probably buy another before I hit any more than 300k.

Any suggestions on where to order one of these engines from? What is the normal for pricing of these reman engines? Any places to steer clear?

What should I expect as costs to have the engines switched over?

thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. You need to read the 'is your GMT900 truck using oil' poll pinned at the top of the the 99-13 topics page, before you can make a decision. There are a lot of pages, but you need to read them all to learn if your truck has had any of the GM fixes or if you are willing to try some of the other remedies, such as turning off the AFM function, or if you want a new engine or new truck.

Archived