Thumping sound in 2003 Avalanche

I am having a thumping-clicking sound that seems like it is coming from the right front side of my 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4, if I tap the brake lightly the sound fads away but right back when I remove my foot from the brake. banghead.gif I just purchased this pickup a few months ago and had my mechanic check it out and did put in a rear u-joint,wheel bearing and ABS sensor in right front,new 265/70/16 tires,plugs,wires and oxygen sensor and cleaned MAF sensor. Did not notice the sound when I bought it,it has 192,000 miles on it. Yesterday the mechanic removed all the tires and checked the brakes,said their was some rust on the rotors but more on the back ones,no loose shields and he has no idea at this point. The parking brake was stuck down when I bought it and I has to pull the release lever and the pedal to get it up. It drives fine and no drifting or shimming. Seem to keep time wit a rotation??

post-170214-0-25229400-1493213692.jpg

Could be anything. But if it disappears by feathering the brakes, I'd say caliper ?

I would have said something in the tire, wheel bearing or bent axle, but since you said braking stops it ?

Still might be bent axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a wheel bearing do something similar. It was weird too because it didnt pull or drift, but had about 3/4" play in and out so 1.75" total. Just jack up the front and see if you can rock the wheel up and down by the top and bottom of the tire.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Bad or slipped belt in tire...

I also have a wheel that makes noise, it's a squeak...I've narrowed it to either the stainless skin moving on the steel wheel or a wheel weight moving as the tire flexes past that point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

When the weather clears I will jack it up and have a look at things. My mechanic had all 4 wheels off and looked it over but might of missed something. It is still winter weather right now and I do not have a garage so I will wait until it warms up a bit. Thanks for all the replies, it is driving me crazy and hope it is not damaging anything. Could of they warped a rotor when the new tires were put on, I bought them at Sam's Club and were Michelin LT, it seems I noticed the sound more since.

JASKIN

When the weather clears I will jack it up and have a look at things. My mechanic had all 4 wheels off and looked it over but might of missed something. It is still winter weather right now and I do not have a garage so I will wait until it warms up a bit. Thanks for all the replies, it is driving me crazy and hope it is not damaging anything. Could of they warped a rotor when the new tires were put on, I bought them at Sam's Club and were Michelin LT, it seems I noticed the sound more since.

JASKIN

If it happened right after having your wheels off completely,,,,

Make sure your tires lugs are tight all around.

If you have uneven tightness, it's possible your rim could wobble as it turns and enhanced louder when turning a corner. Possible but highly unlikely.

5e9f24fac7e86fc686f95266ec3d4ea8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, I did not notice it right away as I was 150 miles from home when I had the tires installed and was on the highway most of the time and when I notice it most is at 10 to 35 mph,with the window closed--going faster the road noise increases and my hearing is not as good. Nice looking truck you have.

• 2 months later...

Archived