94 K2500 smoke from steering column?

Have a 94 K2500 and installed a single cylinder dump bed. The battery is small (760 cranking amps) and is used to start the SBC and run the electric hydraulic pump. (Plan on installing a second dedicated dump battery in the future.)

Today with the truck not running, key off and dump power switch on and bed powering up I noticed a small amount of smoke coming out of the steering column near the ignition lock?

I suspect it was partly due to a low battery and partly due to the fact that the truck was not running...but curious as to the cause of the column smoke..shut it down promptly so there was no damage...but anyone ever experience this? What column circuit could possibly overheat?

Thanks

the key is main switch for one battery to IGN.

the other battery being lit must have ground looped.

Expecting something it is not going to get.

that location over the years gains mystery.. as it is dry, non heatsinked.. and nearly all amps counting on it.

I had one in the rain that sucked a drop every few seconds, across the roof liner, and dropped like a precision bomb exactly through the hazard hole.

it needed water.(strange but true).

a sad fact of these trucks, until very modern..

there is no diodes or real guidance. They ship with a signature of pig in blanket. I make that sound bad, but it isn't.. just need to be smart, like a computer builder.From there on out, we are all on our own. I have fun with it as my mechanical jobs was (is) strange, I like to tackle these subjects.

A neat thing to do is find the bleeds in mili-amps. Stuff off. The light circuit is a monster. That is one source of invisible.

Archived