The Clark Kent Muffler for the Superman 6.2L

Today's upgrade I should have done day one - FlowMaster 50 Series Big Block muffler swap.

OMG - Sooooo happy with the new sound and so is the wife - she says it sounds like a truck now. You most def can always hear it now - but never is it obnoxious - not even at WOT. Just a nice mellow tone from idle to 75mph and no drone - no chopper - even though I planned to leave the flapper - but didn't say anything about it and they cut out the flapper too. No flapper to rattle or get stuck - the muffler shop says they do see them get stuck.

Neither of us hear any difference in V4 around town or on the highway....

One big plus I hadn't planned on - now I can hear it shift - which helps feel it shift - before I hardly knew when it shifted. Something tells me this will not be good for MPG - it will cause lead foot syndrome........... :driving:

My choice was FlowMaster # 53553. Resonator retained. Flapper removed.

Also MagnaFlow # 12909 would probably be a good choice.

I have always been a FlowMaster fan. I have been hauling the FlowMaster muffler around in the cab for a week debating it.

What got me to finally pull the trigger was all the muffler delete threads - I thought that can't have a good tone - yet people like it - so no way is the "quietest" FlowMaster going to be too loud.......

post-168136-0-92185800-1493344237_thumb.jpg

post-168136-0-67715500-1493344253_thumb.jpg

post-168136-0-76571900-1493344274_thumb.jpg

So you must have used a 3" in + out muffler looking where it is cut in?

Looks that way doesn't it - I purposely selected this further away muffler shop over my normal neighborhood shop because of their reputation. The FlowMaster 53553 is a 3.5" in and 3.5" out muffler. Somehow they compressed it to match the OEM pipes that are 3.5" in - but 3.0" out. Nice work.....

:thumbs:

So they did cut far enough up the pipe to get to the 3.5" section?

I didn't want the small pipe out the back, so I replaced all tail piping with 3.5" as well.

Sure is nice being able to hear what a great sounding engine this really is!

Between the high compression and the displacement it has great sound especially when the rpm's are up.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:55 PM, Silver ice 6.2 said:

Congrats on your new mod.. but please post a video of a start up and maybe a drive bye.. I myself would love to see your truck in action and curious what it sounds like.

I am still in the flip phone era, LOL. Just take any of the cold start and drive by videos and dial them down to an easy listening level of like 25 and you have it. I certainly listened to a lot of them, it is exhausting - pun intended. Every combo seemed too loud.

Every term used on the “Quiet exhaust wanted” threads applies – subtle – mild – mellow - throaty – able to hear normal conversation and radio volume. The FlowMaster Big Block 50 Series is also the muffler in the cat-back Force II system FlowMaster offers.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is a dude on here that runs the loudest FlowMaster Super 10 "street" muffler and loves it drone and all - although he says some family and friends will not ride in his truck. LOL

I have been an old car guy for 43 years, and like a loud - but tuned exhaust on something that is not a daily driver. On my '62 Dodge Dart wagon - I went from the original 40 series which is only one notch above the Super 10 - to the Delta Flow 40 series which is only 3 notches up quieter than their original 40. The muffler change did quiet down the sound/resonance significantly. Behind 318ci - 230hp...........

The Big Block 50 on the Silverado is 13 notches up quieter - Plus 3 cats - plus the resonator - behind 378ci - 420hp......

Really am enjoying hearing thru the exhaust - the truck go thru the 8 gears. So much better than stock sewing machine sound level. During the commute this morning, I noticed it really seems to stay in V4 much longer now. So I will have to say this may help MPG if I can keep my foot out of it. Maybe the more free flowing muffler equals more V4 time.

post-168136-0-46574400-1493384077_thumb.jpg

So they did cut far enough up the pipe to get to the 3.5" section?

I didn't want the small pipe out the back, so I replaced all tail piping with 3.5" as well.

Sure is nice being able to hear what a great sounding engine this really is!

Between the high compression and the displacement it has great sound especially when the rpm's are up.

Yes it attached at the 3.5" section - I have even been under there with calipers - that's when I realized the exit was 3.0" even though people on here post 3.5/3.5 all the time. Yep it sure does sing a mellow tune now - and thank you too - your posts actually got me thinking muffler swap out first.

:thumbs::thumbs:

Glad you are happy with the Flowmaster it took long enough for you to have something put on. Removing the flapper was a good move on the part of the shop. Eliminates the possibility of it failing in the future. Shop seems to have done a nice job with the weld and "tweaking" the hangers to fit offset muffler

Glad you are happy with the Flowmaster it took long enough for you to have something put on. Removing the flapper was a good move on the part of the shop. Eliminates the possibility of it failing in the future. Shop seems to have done a nice job with the weld and "tweaking" the hangers to fit offset muffler

Sure did - drove myself crazy listening to videos - which probably are nothing like in person anyway. The tip is 1" further south after massaging it in place. And thank you for the input along the way - the third member on here that helped bend my mind to the right choice.... At a month and 1,000 miles new - It's like a different truck now!

:pimp:

I bet the 70 Series #53071 would work perfect for a 5.3L - if not also work for the 6.2L...........

This also helped make the case for the 50 Big Block, since the 70 Series is very similar.....

Interior & Exterior Sound Comparison Article & Video - Five of Flowmaster’s Popular Series of Performance Mufflers:

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/exhaust/sound-comparison-of-five-of-flowmaster%E2%80%99s-popular-series-of-performance-mufflers/

Super 10

Super 40

Super 44

50 Series Delta Flow

70 Series Big Block II

Towing report with new muffler....... I am sure liking the FlowMaster on mine for two days now. Towed up a long grade this morning - no drone - just a nice throaty sound even working it.... Had cruise control set at the speed limit, and in tow haul mode.

post-168136-0-55039400-1493504704_thumb.jpg

Archived