The Clark Kent Muffler for the Superman 6.2L

Thanks Krusty. Very informative

Another good video explaining how the Flowmaster design improves the sound - and increases exhaust velocity:

Had a pair of Flowmaster 70 Series Big Block II behind the 540" in my '69 Chevelle. Motor was dyno'd at just over 700HP, a pair of 70 series in 3" in/out size was surprisingly tame.

Doesn't really apply to a truck, but gives you some idea how much the 70 Series will tame down a big motor yet allow a little tone through.

• 1 month later...

TOWING WITH NEW MUFFLER REPORT:

Towed about 5,000# camp trailer to Grayland State Park (by Westport, WA) last week. 250 mile round trip. Most def could hear the muffler performing with the constant higher RPM in tow/haul. Nothing droning or obnoxious and on the way home had grown accustomed to it.

Got 11.2 mpg hand calc - pretty ideal 60mph sea level roads for mpg towing or not - we always go north of there to Kalaloch camping or cabins every year - and always got the best mpg in the Duramax on that trip.

Most def can hear V4 at times - other times I try and think it must be there and look and nope V8.... But then I could not tell a dif with the stock muffler. Makes me wonder if I could tell in a stock truck now. Think I notice it more going into V4 then out of V4. Going in its almost like the sound of a furnace flaming out or something, LOL. I can see why some say the V4 sound "bothers" them. But on that trip I could have put it in M7 and done the same RPM - which I did at times to see - 60/65mph and T/H it stayed in 7 or below.

:driving:

I've had three 2014 Silvy's and tried several different Maggie's and Flowmasters. Finally settled on the 50 series DeltaFlow about 2 years ago. It is the perfect muffler for these trucks. Any YouTube videos just won't do it justice. Plus the Flowmasters chamber design gives a little back pressure that these engines respond well to. After my BBP tune with a 14 inch straight thru Maggie I had at the time, sometimes I would get a little stumble right off idle. FM 50 is a great muffler.

• 8 months later...

Still liking the mild sound of the FlowMaster 50 Series muffler swap ..... 9,000 miles on her now - would not have it any other way...........

I do put her in manual mode M7 often when driving around town - especially on cold start-ups - figure is also helps the engine warm up quicker.  Not to mention getting to hear all 8 cylinders all the time thru the Flowmaster 50.........

:thumbs::thumbs:

Archived