CV Axle Boots... Both torn months apart at approx 120k - defective?

01burban

Question

07 suburban: so both my cv axle boots tore open in the exact same spots... along the smaller clamp on the axle by the wheel, both Driver and passenger sides. Driver happened 1st at about 120k then about 5k or so later the passenger side. I have owned a 94 & an 01 suburban... both reaching 190k before selling them and never had to repair the cv axles. Its obvious that the materials have changed to the cheaper side to the point that I would consider them defective since they tore identically withing the same timeline. Just enough to get you out of drivetrain warranty??? hmmmm

Anyone else having these similar boot breakdowns?

Anyways I need to replace the axles them selves as one of them is now showing turning resistance. Anyone have any longevity with Autozone Duralast Gold axles or similar? I don't want to be replacing them on a yearly basis because of poor quality regardless if its free lifetime or not. $70 compared to OEM AC Delco at $270

OEM or lifetime cheap'os???

14 answers to this question

Yeah that's the sad reality of today. Nobody is immune from chinesium ...

I find that NAPA has better odds than the rest, however. Having to buy 2 sets of everything, and using the ones that last, is becoming the norm today, unfortunately.

Most auto stores use a company called Cardone or something like that to rebuild their parts. NAPA doesn't. According to my local NAPA store they switched from that company because of quality issues.

I have had issues with parts from this company from O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, Advance. :happysad:

A-1 Cardone is one reason I no longer shop at Advance Auto. That damn store has cost me so much money. The savings on their crap quality parts isn't even worth it.

Don't even get me started on their help! They could hire tree stumps that would be more helpful ...

A-1 Cardone is one reason I no longer shop at Advance Auto. That damn store has cost me so much money. The savings on their crap quality parts isn't even worth it.

Don't even get me started on their help! They could hire tree stumps that would be more helpful ...

:lol:

+1 for NAPA - just what I was gonna say. Was just there today for a mower battery and a '95 Jeep Wrangler caliper.

I have MUCH better luck longevity-wise than ANYTHING from Advance Auto. Advance's parts quality has taken a nosedive straight into the shitter the past couple years. Absolutely terrible. I stopped going there. Auto Zone is a LITTLE better, but not where I shop for my own vehicles. At least not anymore.

Sounds like someone at the factory, in addition to using crap quality parts, clamped the boot on in the wrong position. They probably clamped it with the joints shoved all the way in ... and then once mounted on the vehicle, it put too much tension on them, and tore them prematurely.

Why am I not surprised? :nonod:

Funny you say that... I used to use Nappa well over 15 years ago until a local autzone popped up 1 min. from my house. I did however have a bad feeling about them as an alternator was replaced by them 2x and the 3 one was busted right off their shelf. The bearings were shot! I will look into Nappa thanks.

Hyundai was the only one offering a 10 year as far as I know.

I've owned 4 Hyundais still have 3 the oldest is 12 years old. Haven't had to really test the warranty. I believe the CV joints would fall under the 6-60 bumper to bumper. The engine, transmission, rear end limited 10 year unless you pay extra. We did on the 11 Genesis for 1200$ dollars. I was mostly concerned with the electronics, as I would be on any brand. I would replace the CVs at the first sound of clicking which I did on the 06 Elantra recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived