GM bed lighting kit?

So I was cleaning out a closet and found a box that came with the truck. I assumed it was some sort of lighting that came with the plow prep package. Well further inspection the box is labeled "bed lighting" inside the box is some cables and some square led lights. I'm not sure if these were suppose to be installed or where they are suppose to be installed? The box was in my backseat when I bought the truck..

Same thing happened to me when I bought my 2014. I called my salesman and he said they were supposed to install them, someone forgot. They are 80 miles away, so I installed them myself. Someone had posted instructions on this site. If I remember they were pretty easy to install.

So I was cleaning out a closet and found a box that came with the truck. I assumed it was some sort of lighting that came with the plow prep package. Well further inspection the box is labeled "bed lighting" inside the box is some cables and some square led lights. I'm not sure if these were suppose to be installed or where they are suppose to be installed? The box was in my backseat when I bought the truck..

Dealer was supposed to install those at PDI.

Same thing happened to me when I bought my 2014. I called my salesman and he said they were supposed to install them, someone forgot. They are 80 miles away, so I installed them myself. Someone had posted instructions on this site. If I remember they were pretty easy to install.

Dealer was supposed to install those at PDI.

Shaking my head.

If you paid for them when you bought the truck (check the window sticker) they were supposed to be installed at PDI. If they were bought as an accessory the dealership can charge you to install them.

They are really easy to do. Just follow the instructions above. The hardest part is actually mounting the lights with the self-tapping screws. After that everything else is just routing the wires as shown and plugging in the factory plugs. The only bad part is they only give you 2 lights. I actually just bought another factory set off ebay and will be splicing in 2 more OEM lights.

(P.S. -- I'll have a factory plug with short pigtails for a 2016/2017 up for sale in a few weeks!)

Super easy to install. Also I ran LED strips under the bedrails and into the tool box. So when you open the box its light up. The strips draw such little power you can run alot of them off of the one power supply.

Super easy to install. Also I ran LED strips under the bedrails and into the tool box. So when you open the box its light up. The strips draw such little power you can run alot of them off of the one power supply.

Pics of where/how you continued the wiring into the toll box. Exactly what I have been wanting to do. Thanks man.

Does everyone else have a switch inside the cab to turn the bed light on? Mine does Just wondering

The cargo light switch on the center dash operates the bedlights. My truck came with the bedlights, already installed when I picked it up.

It depends on if you have the factory bed lights already or not. If not you can buy the kit for around 100$ and it plugs directly in to an empty harness above the spare tire. Mine didn't come with the lights so I bought them. I just spliced a length of 18 ga wire into the wires for the kit where you remove the tail light to install the kit. If you have the lights remove the passenger side taillight and you'll see the wires. Just run split loom wire sheathing up to the toolbox and secure using peel and stick wire retainers you get at home depot under the bed rails. At the toolbox I put in male female connections so I can unplug it if I need to take out the toolbox. Then buy a roll of white or whatever color led lights you want and you can cut them into whatever length strips you want. I ran two under the box, one on the box lid and a ring inside the box. You can't really see the wires because I'm very anal about it and caulked all of the wires into the corners of the toolbox. But just lay the strips out and you can build a harness out of wires in whatever configuration you want. But I have learned use only heat shrink connections or sauter and seal using heat shrink tubing use silicone caulking to secure all the led strips as the tape doesn't stick well. As far as caulking the wires in place I use roof flashing caulk and it works perfectly anywhere the caulk will be exposed to the elements. I used it in my wheel wells and under the frame. I put up pictures of the finished project like I said sorry you can't really see the wires but I hope this helps 7af2a819d3de2f9e9ee112006d8036fc.jpge043b9031738c594e376e8c1e32ddc04.jpg212c35cffdc0fcaa1208b6a5d32e4676.jpg4aa7a69ec2d3f941b450d7d7842753d4.jpgabecaea7e686467317c59cb9da33f4ca.jpg

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Sorry I forgot, drill a small hole in the toolbox where you want the wires to come into the box. Use a rubber grommet, I find if you buy a multipack of pcv grommets they come in handy when running wire through metal and silicone caulk in the gaps to keep moisture out. I just have a 3 inch pig tail of the wire with male connections that sticks out under where the box sits on the bed rails. You just can't see it because it's secured. That way if you have to remove the box just unplug it.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Archived