For people considering doing this themselves, if GM comes out with a special policy that makes this repair free or reimbursed those that had it done, I’m not sure you’ll get reimbursed for the price of parts and definitely won’t be reimbursed for your labor or labor for a technotian that’s not a certified GM technicitian. Just something to keep in mind.

I am having my condenser replaced at the dealership now. The ac stopped blowing cold so I took it in. I was going to try to do the fix myself but don’t have the time now and I have never messed with an AC system. Dealership is charging me just under $1100. Also I took my Silverado in for a leaky oil cooler line under warranty so they gave me a loaner. They are changing a bell housing seal, the oil pan seal, oil cooler line and they are servicing my transmission as well as fixing the ac. They say the oil cooler line is on back order but it is covered under warranty so I am still driving the loaner, after a week. My truck is sitting at 99,250 miles so they can have it as long as it takes. I’m racking up the miles on the loaner, lol.

The dealer says I will have a 2 year 25,000 mile warranty for the condenser so there’s that. It will be closer to a year for me as I drive around 25-27,000 a year. When the service guy told me what it was I had a moment before I was able to agree to have them do it. Most expensive repair I’ve ever done on any car, not being an engine or tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add me to the list for a leaking condenser. Stealership wants $1400 to replace. A local shop wants $800. I did the online GM chat but nothing came of it. I'll likely end up buying what I need and doing it myself. Just need to find time [emoji99]
Update on my situation. GM got back to me today and said they'd contact the dealership. The dealership called me later and said that GM is offering cost assistance and he knows why because they repair these condensers all of the time. My cost will be about 500 and while it stinks to have to pay that, the difference in price after parts plus tools on my end isn't worth the time it'd take me to install.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Update on my situation. GM got back to me today and said they'd contact the dealership. The dealership called me later and said that GM is offering cost assistance and he knows why because they repair these condensers all of the time. My cost will be about 500 and while it stinks to have to pay that, the difference in price after parts plus tools on my end isn't worth the time it'd take me to install.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

My first condenser failed at 58,000 miles here it is just 6400 miles later and my second condenser has failed with a crack in the exact same spot as I'm driving home from Atlanta to Dallas.

The irony is that as far as I can tell the newer condenser is exactly of the same design as the old one they didn't bother to fix anything

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Zasker1 said:

My first condenser failed at 58,000 miles here it is just 6400 miles later and my second condenser has failed with a crack in the exact same spot as I'm driving home from Atlanta to Dallas.

The irony is that as far as I can tell the newer condenser is exactly of the same design as the old one they didn't bother to fix anything

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And it's definitely the redesigned one they put in when the first failed?  Mine failed at 3,000 miles.  They installed the original designed one because the re-designed wasn't released yet. This was last year. 

Edited by jonesumd

Mine has failed this week at 54,000 miles. I had it in for Stabilitrak issues on Monday and they mentioned that it appeared that the condenser had been leaking. It was cool so I didn't need AC until yesterday. It is blowing warm air now. 

I guess I am one of the Lucky ones and/or my local Dealer and service Rep is actually worth a Darn. I figured more people were getting the deal I got or close to it. Cost me only $175 out of Pocket. My receipt had a not eon it referring to "Customer Knows it a widespread problem" . I was happy with $175 and the promise of reimbursement if it comes to a recall situation. 2014 LTZ Crew Cab with 50k Miles. 

Tried to get a chat going and see what gm would do for me but they weren’t having it. I am sitting at 99,500 miles so they didn’t feel sorry for me. I paid $1198 out the door. That included my transmission service and when they replaced my leaking oil cooler lines (warranty) they gave me an oil change. I did pay but I am having to turn down the AC so I am a happy camper.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:24 PM, jonesumd said:

And it's definitely the redesigned one they put in when the first failed?  Mine failed at 3,000 miles.  They installed the original designed one because the re-designed wasn't released yet. This was last year. 

How could he possibly know that? So far nobody on this thread has been able to say how to identify the old flawed condenser from the new one.

6 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

How could he possibly know that? So far nobody on this thread has been able to say how to identify the old flawed condenser from the new one.

The flawed ones leak...new or old design.   =)

When I come to a stop on a hill, I get steam coming out of the front of my hood. Is this part of the A/C problem? I have also noticed my truck takes forever to cool down.

I have a 2017 Silverado that the a/c stopped working. It only has 5000km on it. Can someone tell me if this condenser problem has been fixed for the 2017 model years? 

UPDATE.  

The said there was no Freon in the system. They fix the leak by replacing the condenser. I really hope that this isn’t a annual thing. Not impressed. The tech said they get lots of 2017 with this issue still. 

Edited by Northernone1

Sitting at the Chevy dealership now with my 2015 Silverado.  Just quoted $930.00 to replace a leaking condenser.  Was a huge Chevy fan looking forward to the 2019, but with known issues like this and no recall or help from GM, they can keep them. Time to find another truck!  

Just had this happen to my 2015 All Terrain with 96.000km. Fighting with GM Canada on a $1700cdn repair bill for it. Pushing for a 50% cost assistance on it. Dealership offered 15% off parts and labour without GM's involvement but not acceptable for me on a known issue on a part they updated. Not happy.