Add me to the list.

2014 GMC Sierra. My AC went out in early June. Condenser was leaking. After refilling fluid 3 times I finally decided to have it repaired. I called several dealers and/or repair shops and each person I spoke with told me this issue has become an epidemic. However, GMC/Chevrolet have yet to step up to the plate and cover the cost of replacement.

The cheapest quote I got was $850 from Kwik Kar. Dealerships want anywhere between $900 and $1200.

Also, the condensers are on back-order for up to 6 weeks because GMC had to make improvements to the existing design and ramp production of replacement condensers.

So if a design is flawed and causing widespread failure, why wouldn't this be covered by the manufacturer?

I found a off-brand condenser through Amazon for $120. However, after talking with one of the mechanics about this, he said it would wind up failing, so it would be better to wait for the "improved" condensers coming from GMC directly.

So here I am two months later driving around in Texas summer heat with no AC.

Has anyone heard of GMC changing their position on covering the cost of repairs?

You got your use out of the truck AC system through the warranty period. Now the warranty is up. You wouldn't expect a manufacturer to warranty a design flaw in a computer once it's past its warranty. Same with the truck.

I would go with the aftermarket condenser instead of waiting. The mechanic is generalizing. He has no way to know.

GM does have availability on the condensers again. It is controlled but they are available.

If you get a chance to see one, please post a picture of how they changed how the dryer tube is attached. That was where the failures were occurring. Just not enough braze joint area for the mass.

Truck is in the shop for condenser and found a leak in the radiator. It's also being replaced under extended warranty... But another day without the truck. I have to say I'm very pleased with the service I'm getting from the dealership to this point. They have contacted me a couple of times today to keep me up on what's going on and have worked with the warranty company to get it squared away.

So this just popped up on my Facebook feed - https://chimicles.com/chevrolet-silverado-air-conditioning-defect-potential-class-action/

Class action for defective AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting..... it lists only the 2014 Silverado. Is this a different AC issue that everyone else is seeing on their 2014-2017 GM vehicle?

I am hoping it covers the 14-17 trucks?

Called another dealer today, and asked him about it failing turns out its more common on SUV platform then the trucks...

Truck will be going tomorrow hopefully and mine failed and i am at 16k and she is a year old:(

Edited by BlackHawkZ71

If you filed a ticket with GM about your AC not working and they tell you one has been ordered on behalf of your dealer, call the dealer and verify it was actually ordered. I filed a ticket with GM last month and they e-mailed me back on 7/13 with the same response everyone received saying the AC condenser is on back-order but one has been ordered for you. I literally haven't driven my truck since; waiting for the dealer to call me saying my condenser arrived. Given initial reports that it might take 2-4 months to come in, I wasn't expecting a call from my dealer anytime soon.

Well I called yesterday to find out the status of my order and they said they'd have to call me back after I gave them my ticket number. I didn't ask them but I'm 99% sure my order was never put in because they sounded like one didn't exist. They called me back within an hour saying one was available for my truck. I'm partially to blame for not verifying one was ordered but still, I'm not happy with GM. My dealer has been great and I'm not trying to badmouth them. The AC problem is a GM issue and I'm not impressed at all with GM quality or customer service. This is my first and last GM vehicle I will ever purchase.

You got your use out of the truck AC system through the warranty period. Now the warranty is up. You wouldn't expect a manufacturer to warranty a design flaw in a computer once it's past its warranty. Same with the truck.

I would go with the aftermarket condenser instead of waiting. The mechanic is generalizing. He has no way to know.

I have to hand it to GM. They've got MTBF vs. warranty down to a science.

Good point. GM might have to offer the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty here soon in order to preserve profits.

Understand your tongue in cheek humor, very good :) But, you pushed a memory button up in my old bean. If I recall correctly, back in the late 50's, maybe on into the early 60's, new car warranties were 90 days/3,000 miles. I'm guessing competition will keep degradation of warranties from dropping too far. But, we shall see...

I just had to laugh out loud when GM announced a few years ago they were no longer offering the 5yr/100k warranty because "it wasn't a strong enough selling point for the consumer".

In essence, GM is telling the consumer their profitability comes first and foremost before quality.

Edited by 97SierraSLT