Well I figured i would update yall, got my silverado back. Turns out the compressor locked up. Never heard of that one on a 16 but its warrantied..

There may have been an issue with the compressor, because they superseded the original part. I bought the latest version recently.

There may have been an issue with the compressor, because they superseded the original part. I bought the latest version recently.

i have no idea but I figure the 16 shouldn't have failed unless it was left over from older years?, but she blows ice cold air on low now (56-58*)

i have no idea but I figure the 16 shouldn't have failed unless it was left over from older years?, but she blows ice cold air on low now (56-58*)

Glad you're happy. But, you should be registering around 40 ~ 42 degrees at a vent. I checked my 15 Silverado after having the condenser replaced and that is what I got with outside temp in 90's. Out of curiosity I checked all four of my cars and got in this range except my wife's BMW which registered 38.

Glad you're happy. But, you should be registering around 40 ~ 42 degrees at a vent. I checked my 15 Silverado after having the condenser replaced and that is what I got with outside temp in 90's. Out of curiosity I checked all four of my cars and got in this range except my wife's BMW which registered 38.

ya that was before replacement I forgot to mention that now you have me wanting to try it again..

Plus my temp gun could be wrong its a (cheaper model)? It feels colder then 56* on low. With max fan speed.

That bmw will freeze you out... be handy here in texas..

ya that was before replacement I forgot to mention that now you have me wanting to try it again..

Plus my temp gun could be wrong its a (cheaper model)? It feels colder then 56* on low. With max fan speed.

That bmw will freeze you out... be handy here in texas..

I'm using a gauge that I bought at Autozone. It looks much like a temp gauge used for cooking a roast and such. If your reading temp after it comes out of the vent that may be the problem. My gauge has rod that is slid through the vent about 3" inside. Btw, I live in Texas as well, DFW area. No such thing as too cold ac here in Texas, lol :)

I'm using a gauge that I bought at Autozone. It looks much like a temp gauge used for cooking a roast and such. If your reading temp after it comes out of the vent that may be the problem. My gauge has rod that is slid through the vent about 3" inside. Btw, I live in Texas as well, DFW area. No such thing as too cold ac here in Texas, lol :)

i am going to have to try that. One of these days.

I was curious about my AC since my truck is just about to go out of warranty. I also have a temp gauge that I can stick into the vents. I tested my truck, my work truck, and my jeep during the same 95 degree and 90% humidity weather a few weeks ago. I got around 48 degrees out of all three vehicles with this test. I was hoping for something worse in my truck so I could get if fixed while under warranty but I guess I'll be giving up $1k or more down the road to get if fixed when it does go out.

Well, appears GM has a new problem; heard on the news last night that GM has a recall out on 2014 Silverados and Sierras for electronic power steering failures. Said the fix is a reprogram. I know, I'm off-topic but thought I'd share anyway .

I scheduled my service for this, and 2 days later my AC stops blowing cold. Took it in this morning and its the condenser!!! 2014 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 with 42K miles. Just out of warranty. $1200 bill to replace the condenser and hose.

Out of the $950 it cost me to replace my condenser at the dealer, GM paid all but $400 for my out of warrantied 2014. I reached out to them via chatting on the GM website. They called me back and worked out a deal with my dealership. Dealer and rep from GM recommended that I keep my receipts for a refund of what I paid if they do a recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How'd you manage this? Just a general complaint?

Edited by GhostTX

So this just popped up on my Facebook feed - https://chimicles.com/chevrolet-silverado-air-conditioning-defect-potential-class-action/

Class action for defective AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in, if GM doesn't address this.

You got your use out of the truck AC system through the warranty period. Now the warranty is up. You wouldn't expect a manufacturer to warranty a design flaw in a computer once it's past its warranty. Same with the truck.

I would go with the aftermarket condenser instead of waiting. The mechanic is generalizing. He has no way to know.

This is a design flaw causing a shorter than normal lifespan on the part. Dare I say planned obsolescence. This isn't because of long life deterioration, this is piss poor engineering. I've owned NO other vehicle where I've had a cracked condenser. Especially one that's barely 2 years old and driven normally (just city/highway).

My other vehicle is 12 years old, and the AC still blows cold, with no recharges!

Edited by GhostTX

I scheduled my service for this, and 2 days later my AC stops blowing cold. Took it in this morning and its the condenser!!! 2014 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 with 42K miles. Just out of warranty. $1200 bill to replace the condenser and hose.

How'd you manage this? Just a general complaint?

I went on GMs website and chose contact us. Used webchat to explain the issue and that I've read that GM has assisted those out of warranty on partial costs. They called me later and I explained about what I've read and my issue. They reached out to my dealer and worked with them.

Good luck

I went on GMs website and chose contact us. Used webchat to explain the issue and that I've read that GM has assisted those out of warranty on partial costs. They called me later and I explained about what I've read and my issue. They reached out to my dealer and worked with them.

Good luck

Thanks. I did just this, and the chat person gave me a case number and said CEM (Customer Experience Manager) would contact me in a day or two. "She" also said to mention that I had this chat with Chevy when I go to the dealership to pick up my truck from the repair. Here's to hoping they cover some of the costs.

Edited by GhostTX
  • Like 1

Thanks. I did just this, and the chat person gave me a case number and said CEM (Customer Experience Manager) would contact me in a day or two. "She" also said to mention that I had this chat with Chevy when I go to the dealership to pick up my truck from the repair. Here's to hoping they cover some of the costs.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

UPDATE: Truck is at dealership now. I spoke to service manager, and he started at $1100 for condenser and labor. I told him i spoke to GM corporate about it and was looking for relief he said "let me check, they have a calculator" and said ok $700. I am still waiting to hear back from my contact at GM executive office as well as a chat with chevy customer service right now. Feel like they should really make good here. We will see.

• Like 1