Some 2018 Truck Assembly to Canada

This was announced sometime late last year by GM, however the interesting bit about the update that was put out was the potential need for a second shift before they've even started production. That is the news.

I heard they will be manfacturing the rolling chassis and having the body shipped up from Fort Wayne. Comes at a great time as they just layed off over 400 employees moving the Crossover facility to Mexico. I will have a great sence of pride knowing my truck came from Oshawa, still no news on which models will be produced there, Silverado/Sierra or Canyon/Colorado. This will likely mean more Fort Wayne trucks for American consumers, and much less produced in Mexico. Maybe the southern States will get to drive a US made truck again. Exciting news none-the-less.

Sending chassis from one plant to another seems a little bizarre. The Oshawa plant has a good track record for what they build. A while back they had two plants building cars and trucks there. As Canadians let's hope they get back to that.

• 1 month later...

I would think that they will begin production w/ the T1XX truck. No sense in starting w/ the K2XX which is soon to end.

Stupid mistake to close Oshawa Truck in '09 (see my sig). My father was involved with setting up the plant in '64 & '65. He worked in the tooling department until he retired in '86 & wanted to see the last truck off the line. I had no interest.

Oshawa Car has been doing final assembly of the Equinox for a few years. B-I-W shipped by truck, painted & then hardware & chassis added.

Look for a 2 as the first character on the VIN.

I would think that they will begin production w/ the T1XX truck. No sense in starting w/ the K2XX which is soon to end.

Stupid mistake to close Oshawa Truck in '09 (see my sig). My father was involved with setting up the plant in '64 & '65. He worked in the tooling department until he retired in '86 & wanted to see the last truck off the line. I had no interest.

Oshawa Car has been doing final assembly of the Equinox for a few years. B-I-W shipped by truck, painted & then hardware & chassis added.

Look for a 2 as the first character on the VIN.

Most of the ones I've seen at work since I've been here are all Canuck made, be it CAMI or Oshawa. Once in a while a 1GNAL (Springhill, TN) will show up but 2GNAL/2GNFL is the most prominent.

Heck...on the Camaro6 forum, when the Gen 6 launched, there were and still are some issues for Camaro out of Lansing. Sad because I think Oshawa put the Gen 5 car together much better than our own US boys do the 6th Gen. My brother's 2014 SS is 20,000 miles and zero issues. Even at work, Gen 5 Camaro issues here are slim.

The bean counters wanted all the RWD cars built in 1 plant. So much for the 'flex' capabilities of being able to build different platforms on a single line.

But then again it's GM...

Archived