Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

Video: Chevy Colorado ZR2 Fans Concerned About "Rock Sliders"

post-139450-0-87620300-1493844950_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5-3-2017

Fans and customers holding order sheets for new Chevy Colorado ZR2 pickups are starting to express concerns about the standard "Off-road rocker protection" to use Chevy's exact description, that Chevy is apparently having its dealers install. We did a little digging to see what is know about that specific component at this time.

Our first clue was in a 2016 article in Outside Online written by Wes Siler. Siler looked at the rocker protection and wrote, "Combine that with long wheelbase, and we’re just not looking at the angles necessary for a true rock crawler here. Hit some boulders and those standard rock rails and aluminum skid plates are going to take a beating."

post-139450-0-14535700-1493845509_thumb.jpg

William Francis, a member of the Facebook Colorado ZR2 club (that GM-Trucks.com owner Zane Merva started) looked at an image of the trucks being delivered out of the factory and posted the comment, "Odd, no rock rails? dealer installed maybe?" We enlarged and enhanced the Chevy media image a bit and indeed as you can see above, there is no rocker protection on the trucks leaving the factory.

Then there is this video we found of a fan checking out the ZR2 in person. The speculation is the dealer didn't mount them properly:

What say you GM-Trucks.com faithful? No big deal, or a bit of a disappointment?

We don't have one yet (I sure hope we do though) but those guards are installed at the dealer, just like on Z06 and Grand Sport Corvette's ground effects/aero parts. As for the video, possibly not tightened all the way? Even the GM running boards don't move when installed. It appears to be an auto show truck? as I see a carpet flooring underneath it.

• Like 1

I believe it has been stated in the comments of that video that the rock sliders are indeed mounted incorrectly. If you look closely there is way too much room between the rocker panel and the bar. All the LA test vehicles show a much tighter fit and in fact they are so close to the body some of the LA trucks actually have crushed rockers from significant impacts on the sliders. As to why no sliders on trucks in transit, these, along with the spare tire carrier, are a LPO option and will be installed at the dealer. I just hope my dealer gets it right. My spare tire carrier is not going to be mounted so that I can design a better method to quickly remove/install for the times I need full bed capabilities.

• Like 1

they look sandwiched in the rubber mounts.

of course they'll move.

maybe they have to.

oe rubber is a bit too squishy as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      11-1-2017
      Chevy has shown two hot Colorado ZR2 concepts at this year's SEMA show in Las Vegas. The first is the AEV Concept shown at the top of page. The AEV starts off with a new suspension setup including high-angle ball joints and increased stiffness high-angle tie rods. The truck also adds front and rear jounce shocks and a long-travel rear leaf-spring suspension. The differential gets a cover as part of the full underbody protection kit.

The ZR2 AEV also gets custom wheels and tires, a winch kit, recovery hooks, and rocks a snorkel. In back, Chevy added a refrigerator cooler and there is an air pump and more substantial jack and tire kit. Check out the video for a walk-around on this off-roader.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      10-19-2017

Just in time for the annual SEMA aftermarket show in Las Vegas, Chevy has dropped two great-looking special edition Colorados. The ZR2 is already styled differently than other Colorado trims with a more aggressive hood and grille as well as modified front and rear bumpers for added off-road clearance. These two new special editions take the looks up a notch.

The 2018 Colorado ZR2 Midnight Edition is painted all-black,  and also has black Chevy bowtie emblems and custom 17-inch five-spoke black wheels - including the spare. There is also a black sport bar with off-road LED lighting and sport-bar sail panels, which bring back the Avalanche look in a way.

The ZR2 Dusk Edition offers the same features as the ZR2 Midnight, but isn’t black. It can be purchased in any other ZR2 exterior finish, but the black accents remain. The ZR2 Dusk Edition show in our images is Summit White with the available 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel and the diesel-exclusive Performance Cold Air Intake.

“The Colorado ZR2 Midnight and Dusk Edition models offer customers even more personalization choices from the only company with three distinct trucks: midsize, full-size and full-size heavy-duty,” said Jim Campbell, U.S. vice president, Truck Strategy, Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “Chevrolet offers more choices because the truck market is too diverse for a ‘one size fits most’ strategy.” Chevy has not said when the new trucks will be available, but we suspect late Fall.
    • By REDDAWN
      Two months with my new smaller truck and loving it! My Sierra was an amazing truck but I didn’t need a 6.2L. I own a small ranch but I never need to pull anything over 5 thousand pounds. Mostly I am crossing the fields carrying equipment, crossing a creek or checking fence lines. This smaller package makes sense for me. More maneuverable and better fuel economy. The added lift gets me over creeks and streams. Clears stumps and other debris. 
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      8-28-2017
      GM seems to be downplaying its towing capabilities in non-full-size truck offerings. The first, and most surprising revelation was that Chevy is only rating the new Colorado ZR2 at 5,000 pounds for towing, regardless of its engine. That means the Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro's gasoline engine's 6,400 lb towing rating tops the diesel ZR2. Toyota has for years been conservative in its tow ratings and adopted the current standards prior to GM. We doubt this is specmanship on Toyota's part.

The newest towing surprise was the all-new 2018 Equinox diesel compact crossover. The new diesel engine costs almost $4,000 more than the base engine in the Equinox. Yet, its towing is limited to 1,500 pounds, the same rating almost all compact crossovers come with (the CR-V for example). Where is the diesel towing advantage we often see in larger pickups and sport utes?

Perhaps Chevy assumes with these two diesel vehicles owners don't care much about towing. That would not be our impression based on posts to the ZR2 clubs* we participate in. What say you GM-Trucks.com faithful? No big deal, or sort of surprising?

Image Note: GM-Trucks.com received permission to use the FB post and image above from the member who posted it.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      8-22-2017
      Do you like in-depth comparisons of trucks driven off-road? Who doesn't?! We recently spotted and enjoyed this video from our friends at Off-Road.com. What we liked about this video is that the reviewer does not pretend that the Tacoma TRD Pro doesn't exist like Chevy does in its ridiculous "Segment of One" ZR2 marketing campaign. The TRD Pro is a solid off-roader with some industry-leading specs. No production truck has a steeper approach angle. The Tacoma has more ground clearance than the ZR2, and in this matchup, it is about $4K less expensive than the Chevy.

What did Off-Road.com think, and which truck was the winner? Watch and see.