Lowering my 2003 GMC 4x4

Can anyone help me with info on lowering my 2003 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71. I just want to lower it a few inches, maybe in the 2 - 4 range. I looking for the easiest and/or most inexpensive way to do this. Also, if I do lower it a bit, do you think the ride will be affected - good or bad.

Thanks, :smash:

Well I'm sure alot of people are going to ask why! So far I've added a belltech lowering shackle in the rear, that dropped it about 2" and I'm going to take out the lift blocks to get alittle bit lower. For the front I've turn the torsion bars down abit, not sure how much it dropped it tho. Hope this helps :smash:

I know - why lower a 4x4. Short legs and a dislike for the side bars and side steps. I just want to come down a little bit - makes it easier to get in.

Thanks QuiksilverZ71 for the suggestions. :D:smash:

The easiest way:

Rear - remove 2" lift blocks and replace U-bolts with 2WD bolts. Remove bumpstop and bracket, put bumpstop directly in hole in frame.

Front - crank down T-bars, you should be able to get 1 to 1-1/2" of lowering on the front.

Total lowering will be close to 2". This will put your 4x4 at exactly the same height as a 2003 Silverado SS.

I wouldn't mind coming down a little bit on my 4x4 also. The vinyl on the sides of my seats are torn from sliding down them, and I hate the looks of side steps and bars. My offroading consists of hopping a curb and driving down a rocky easement to my backyard where I do need some height, but not enough where 2" matters.

A little off topic, but a few people that i've seen have lowered 4WD S10s and swapped in the Bravade AWD transfer case to make it AWD, I wonder if this works with the fullsize trucks?? (BTW, an S10 blazer w/ an LS1 and AWD will move!)

I believe you CAN swap in the AWD transfer case.

Same case used in 03 Silverado SS, Sierra C3, Sierra Denali, Yukon Denali, and Escalade.

Only thing is this case is hard to find and expensive. I've been wanting to swap one in since I haven't used 4-LOW since I bought my truck a year and a half ago, so I doubt I'd ever use it. AWD would really make it move, and give me all kinds of traction in rain and snow, even dry weather cornering.

I once saw an AWD t-case out of an 02 Escalade on Ebay for $250. My stupid dialup connection was so slow I couldn't outbid the guy the last minute.

.... lowering my 2003 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71.

F.Y.I. ...

I just lowered my 2003 GMC 2WD. I know you have a 4WD, but thought I'd warn you about installing lowering shackles on the '03 trucks. The upper bolt on the stock shackles will not come out. It is installed from the inside out, and when removed, it hits the frame. There is not as much clearance on the 03 trucks to lift the leaf spring up enough to get the bolt to go out OVER the frame rail. I didn't have this problem with my '01 Z71. I didn't want to go to the trouble of removing the WHOLE leaf spring, so I cut the heads off the stock bolts and replaced them when I installed the new lowering shackles (this time from the outside in). I did have to use a shorter bolt, so it doesn't hit the frame, but it all worked good when I was done. I don't know for sure if the 4WD frame is the same, but it's something you might look at, and be prepared for, if and when you install shackles.

Nice site!

I see we have a few ole schoolers here. Heck I'm an ole schooler(used to have a jacked truck with mudders). There is nothing wrong with it(jacked truck with mudders), if you go mudding or tear up some dunes

But I'm loving my 01 Sub 1500 4wd with a 2/3 drop with 20's. Most people wouldn't even notice that's it's lowered b/c it's a very mild drop. I may even get some 20 Nitto Terra Grapplers when they come out so I can go mudding j/k! But I would like to have some for the snow(mountains on/gravel roads) and sand(beach but no dunes). I need 4wd for snow and I needed it lowered. If I could have installed bags on it for a decent price and without having to do so many frame/suspension mods, I would have.

Same here, I really don't like the running boards/side rails. All they do is dirtly up your pants leg when you get in the truck. My truck handles/rides/steers great now, that's a few more reason to lower it besides for the look which I love.

revf23, I'll email you with more info.

Have a great truck day whether you're riding high or low!

Jim

Thanks everyone for the replies. A lot of very good ideas. I really like to use the same drop that GM used for the Silverado SS. I looked at an SS at a local dealer and it is just the right height for me. I think that will probably be the way I will go.

Now - just to get the time to do it. :smash::D

Yeah, SS is lowered exactly the same way as I mentioned above.

I really like the idea of adjustable ride-height, because there may very well be a time when I NEED the ground-clearance of the stock 4x4, but I might want to drop it for highway cruising too. However, someone else once told me bags don't work like that. Anyone know why? I thought for sure that other vehicles like the Audi Allroad use air bag springs to do exactly what I want.

Archived