squeakey brakes or brake

• 2 months later...

Update: Could not take the squeaking any longer, took the truck back with about 6500 miles. Complained about the brakes making noise and they said that they would take another look, one week later called and said all was fixed. Went and pick up my truck and right out of the gate it squeaked again, when I got home I looked at the ticket and they did the same thing as last time. When I got up the next morning after thinking about all night I was steaming. Drove right to the dealer and spoke with the service adviser, he said we could never make it make that noise, I said hop in in we are going for a ride, he got the service manager and the manager and I went for a drive, right off the bat it started squeaking with light pressure on the brakes. The service manager said sounds like it is coming from the rear, my thought was it was coming from the driver rear, when we got back to the dealership, he told the tech, to put new pads on the rear they have to replace both pads and they resurface the rotors what that that means. Morrow to the story NO MORE SQUEAKING BRAKES!!

• 2 weeks later...

My 2017 2500 does this too. Pretty much right out of the gate, now at 12,000 miles still squeaky. No rhyme or reason when it squeaks some times it does some times it doesn't. I have a video of it squeaking now so I can show the dealer when I bring it in for next oil. I mentioned it the first time and they came back with, "the tech said the pads are like brand new". Well no shit!!

My 2017 started doing this after the first couple weeks. Only with light brake pressure first thing in the morning or after it hasn't been driven for quite a while. Then seems to go away. Only about 2000 miles on it now. Sounds like the rear brakes to me, maybe drivers side?

• 7 months later...

So I'm having the same issues with (3) 2018 2500hd's and (1) 2015 in my fleet.  Yesterday 1 went metal to metal in 11,364 miles the other in 13,472 and both on the Left front inner pad.  After inspecting & Lu ricating the caliper slides & replacing the rotors and pads I noticed the left side(drivers side) seems to hang up slighlty more than the other side. I test drove it and broke in the pads to the rotors gently then turned it over to be driven by its user.  Later that day he informed me of an intermittent squeek from the drivers side.  I used my laser infrared temperature gun and I immediately noticed a 100 degree difference from left to right.   467 left. 359 right.  I dont know why yet but I am thinking GM is aware that something wrong as I dont think im alone on this.  If I figure it out soon I will be sure to share.  If anyone is experiencing the same please share any findings.

We have been seeing that more and more lately on the 2500 and 3500's that are towing heavy trailers and or used in commercial applications. I have personally been involved with three of them so far and it is usually just one side as Rdelfleet has said.GM has us changing the caliper and brake hose on the side with abnormal wear or brake temps.Of course a pad replacement and a rotor refinish and a thorough cleaning and lubrication of the caliper slides. Haven't seen one come back after doing this.

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, EXSlider400 said:

Mine is at 30,000 miles and it’s been squeaking since day one. I was hoping it would fix itself but then realized there’s just something I have to live with with an $80k truck. 

The 11 and newer HD's generally have excellent brakes (in contrast with the prior gen chassis).

I've had no noise from this on the previous LML.

As posted above, I have seen other threads about unusually short brake life and pulling to one side. 

eventually determined that there were some calipers machined wrong resulting in not floating on pins correctly -- resulting in excessive wear on one pad. 

If you got a noisy one it might be a good idea to get it looked at. 

I'd expect it's not one of those 'gotta live with it' things.

• 1 month later...

I'd be interested to know if turning the rotors and replacing the pads has any lasting affect. Did all that on mine I got maybe 1000 miles on it before it came back with a vengance. Light pressure on a high moisture day can be embaressing. I'm with EXSlider, not something I want with a truck in this price range. The dealerships aren't much help. I registered this complaint with every layer of GM I could get to listen and never once got anything beyond your bussiness is important to us. It's deffinantly moisture related and I've quieted the sqeak by dressing the edge of the pads and contact points of the caliper with a dremel tool, applying lube to all contact points and applying a coat of antiseize to the back of each pad. No noise until the antiseize washes off and then a light chirp. I've been reapplying the antisieze every other service interval. I'm still open to suggestions if anyone finds a permanent fix.

15 hours ago, 02HD16 said:

I'd be interested to know if turning the rotors and replacing the pads has any lasting affect. Did all that on mine I got maybe 1000 miles on it before it came back with a vengance. Light pressure on a high moisture day can be embaressing. I'm with EXSlider, not something I want with a truck in this price range. The dealerships aren't much help. I registered this complaint with every layer of GM I could get to listen and never once got anything beyond your bussiness is important to us. It's deffinantly moisture related and I've quieted the sqeak by dressing the edge of the pads and contact points of the caliper with a dremel tool, applying lube to all contact points and applying a coat of antiseize to the back of each pad. No noise until the antiseize washes off and then a light chirp. I've been reapplying the antisieze every other service interval. I'm still open to suggestions if anyone finds a permanent fix.

Try a new caliper on that brake, it may not be seating quite flush, straight, on the rotor, due to machining problems on the offending caliper.

I think I'll quit grumbling about my squeaky leaf spring, can't hear it driving, just getting in and out.