2017 f250 appears to be a joke

Im a GM guy mostly, in the 40 years of pulling I went by advertised TQ ratings and what the hot shot drivers in my area were driving. Most were fords then Dodge Ram. I tried GM once in 94 to pull a camper trans problems. My 1/2 tons were GMs my work trucks were Ford diesel, some Rams. Tried GM diesels, cars, trucks, didn't work out maybe different now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear what your saying....After early 2000's the DMAX's were just far superior to the FERDS and Dodge diesels....Then they had their issues with emissions and become problematic but that got sorted out with latest iteration. Now they have offered up the L5P and seriously can't imagine it!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That must be because it out pulled the DODGE,FERD up the IKE which were both rated to TOW something like 31,000+ and poor old Chevy maxes out at 20k something? Numbers are meaningless when you pull a trailer weighing 21K up and down the IKE

The equivalent dodges and fords tow 11k more than the Chevys??

The truck my lawn guy has is the '17 f250 Lariat. Four full doors and long bed. He had 37"x13.5" general grabbers on stock 20" wheels. He said he didn't touch the suspension.

At one time you could fit 35x12.50x17s on the Dodge 2500 without any suspension mods. I did on mine for a while until the BFG AT/KOs got over an inch out of round...why I would never own another BFG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

There is an old member here with a straightpiped and tuned pickup putting down over 700 hp... Barely a puff of smoke at WOT, just til the boost builds. With a good tune, smoke isn't a concern.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was friends with the gentleman that owned Mid-Atlantic Diesel...his truck was dyno'd at just over 1000hp, and it drove pretty much like a stock truck until he tipped into it purposely. Contrary to popular belief, smoke doesn't mean horsepower.

I hear what your saying....After early 2000's the DMAX's were just far superior to the FERDS and Dodge diesels....Then they had their issues with emissions and become problematic but that got sorted out with latest iteration. Now they have offered up the L5P and seriously can't imagine it!

Well keep in mind, the Duramax wasn't released until 01. Prior to that they had the 6.2L Detroit Diesel (non turbo charged) from 82 until 93, and the 6.5 Turbo was released in 92 and stayed until the Duramax came about in 01. At least in the Silverado/CK Trucks. The 6.5, while a major improvement over the 6.2, was still plagued with reliability issues. Cummins and Power Joke had em easily outgunned.

The Dodge got the Cummins starting in 1989. Ford got the Power Joke starting in 1994.

Ford had various versions of the IH Diesel starting in 1983 up until the Joke was released in 94.

Dodge had no diesel until Cummins came along in 89.

Well keep in mind, the Duramax wasn't released until 01. Prior to that they had the 6.2L Detroit Diesel (non turbo charged) from 82 until 93, and the 6.5 Turbo was released in 92 and stayed until the Duramax came about in 01. At least in the Silverado/CK Trucks. The 6.5, while a major improvement over the 6.2, was still plagued with reliability issues. Cummins and Power Joke had em easily outgunned.

The Dodge got the Cummins starting in 1989. Ford got the Power Joke starting in 1994.

Ford had various versions of the IH Diesel starting in 1983 up until the Joke was released in 94.

Dodge had no diesel until Cummins came along in 89.

Actually, Dodge had a POS diesel back in the 70s...it was extremely rare, it was utter garbage, and that probably killed that venture until the Cummins.

The equivalent dodges and fords tow 11k more than the Chevys??

I was shooting from the Hip....they keep going up every year and I thought Ford was at something ridiculous 35K and I know GM stayed the same as the 2016 on 3500's

I guess 9000 LB's to FERD and 8000 LB'S to Dodge........Point is GM schooled both of those trucks with 21K behind it up the IKE. So yeah......DMAX is the real deal with the Allison!

Well keep in mind, the Duramax wasn't released until 01. Prior to that they had the 6.2L Detroit Diesel (non turbo charged) from 82 until 93, and the 6.5 Turbo was released in 92 and stayed until the Duramax came about in 01. At least in the Silverado/CK Trucks. The 6.5, while a major improvement over the 6.2, was still plagued with reliability issues. Cummins and Power Joke had em easily outgunned

Yes, they did and everybody knew it too! It was not even a question......until post 2001

I was friends with the gentleman that owned Mid-Atlantic Diesel...his truck was dyno'd at just over 1000hp, and it drove pretty much like a stock truck until he tipped into it purposely. Contrary to popular belief, smoke doesn't mean horsepower.

People don't realize overfuelling doesn't do a stock vehicle any good. Many of the tractors you see at pulls are intentionally overfuelled, as they have no cooling system.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There is a shop in town that loves working on the over programmed diesels. He says they stretch head bolts which causes loads of problems- cooling system leaks, head gasket failures etc. He says its great for business- stock engines at 1000+hp is guaranteed work! No point in explaining that you need to upgrade physical parts to withstand the hp boost. Nothing will stop them from over programming stock trucks. So he stays busy repairing the aftermath.

Yeah, it's way too easy to buy something like a Smarty for the Cummins and run it at max (something like 230hp) on stock engines...watched it all the time on TDR, they would come over complaining how they blew a turbo, blew a head gasket, dropped a valve seat, or twisted a transmission in half, and complain how Cummins was such a piece of trash; then the questions about head bolts, fire rings, upgraded turbos, gauges, injectors, and we would find out they plopped a big programmer on a stock engine/truck with bad results. What was worse was some guy bought a used truck that had been wrung out to almost the end of its life and then had major and costly engine and trans issues...I always felt bad for those guys because most could barely afford it and it was their first turbo diesel.

The old statement "you gotta pay to play" is so true in that realm.

On Tues' I saw 2 stock 2017 F250s. They must've had the base tire because they looked awfully small & out of proportion to the truck.

I could never buy another Ford... I was the lucky owner of an 04 5.4 F150- cam phasers, coils, electrical problems Also had 08 F-250 V10 heads went out at 4,000 miles and constant brake problems. I'll stick with my flawless 15 6.0 chevy:)

Archived