pulling power of GAS 6.0 2500hd --- not impressed

Yup... and it's a zero dollar option... aka it didn t actually cost a cent. I couldn't really care less that it has 3.73s... in this truck so far I honestly prefer it.

It would be interesting to know what the difference in gas mileage over a couple of tank fulls driving at highway speed would be w/ the 2 different ratios.

if you are not towing, just hauling heavy stuff in the bed all day long, 3.73 makes more sense.

No it doesn't.

Just because you are turning less rpm does not mean you are using less fuel, it requires more throttle (fuel) at lower rpm to maintain speed.

Fuel usage will be the same but pulling power and downsifts will be better with 4.10's, I would order 4.55 gears if it was a option, the 6.0 is gutless in 5th-6th gear, would rather it turn some rpm and make some useable power.

Yup...i get better mileage so far than the complaining I read about on here. Power is good.. my 09 was the same configuration and 3.73 and it was a gutless sack.. this truck is not. Driven plenty of 4.10 geared ones and felt they were as gutless as my 09... its more if you get a good one than anything else. I didn't buy it to haul heavy or to tow... I bought it because in my work environment these trucks last with minimal maintenance

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

I had an '04 w/ the 4 speed trans then went to the '11 w/ 6 speed. Not sure of the gearing, but a world of difference between the 2 trucks.

For my use I'm happy w/ the 6.0 L's power.

I wonder if the people that are unhappy would be happy if it was tuned from the factory to produce more HP @ a higher (unusable RPM) along w/ a narrow powerband?

EDit: Added portion in bold.

Edited by revrnd

6 speed is your biggest change... the useless first gear in a 4L80e is basically like starting off in second gear with the 6L90e. First in an 4l80e is 2.48:1 and the 6 speeds first is 4.02:1 with a 2.36:1 second. Mechanical advantage is a world of difference along with a less power robbing trans. And the L96 makes more power.. stock anyhow. I think a lot of people would be happy with like L86 6.2s curve... makes more torque everywhere... but premium gas and longevity concern would be a no go with fleet buyers that account for a majority of gas engine hd truck sales. Simple, reliable and cheap...

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 2

Yup...i get better mileage so far than the complaining I read about on here. Power is good.. my 09 was the same configuration and 3.73 and it was a gutless sack.. this truck is not. Driven plenty of 4.10 geared ones and felt they were as gutless as my 09... its more if you get a good one than anything else. I didn't buy it to haul heavy or to tow... I bought it because in my work environment these trucks last with minimal maintenance

That's odd seems how your '09 had the EXACT same drivetrain including the same L96 6.0 and 6L90E, only difference is you '17 weights more then your '09 did...

I had an '04 w/ the 4 speed trans then went to the '11 w/ 6 speed. Not sure of the gearing, but a world of difference between the 2 trucks.

For my use I'm happy w/ the 6.0 L's power.

I wonder if the people that are unhappy would be happy if it was tuned to produce more HP @ a higher (unusable RPM) along w/ a narrow powerband?

My L96 is tuned and power wise there is not much if any difference, truck is a heavy pig, I have torque management turned completely off and tuned for max power.

That's odd seems how your '09 had the EXACT same drivetrain including the same L96 6.0 and 6L90E, only difference is you '17 weights more then your '09 did...

Is what it is. 09 was a slug from day one and I got it brand new. When it finally ate a lifter at around 60000 miles it was the best day of my life lol... especially since I had gotten rid of it a couple months before that. Some are junk.. Some aren't.. it's the nature of assembly line products. I don't buy gas engine 3/4 tons and expect them to be race trucks... lol. Weighed the beast today too for fun.... full tank of fuel without me in it the truck is 6800 lbs... not bad.

Edited by SierraHD17

• 2 years later...

Some curious reading lead me here. Wondering if the original poster ever found an issue or if he is now happy with the truck. I currently own an 04’ 2500HD CCLB with the 6.0 and 4.10 gears. I tow my rock crawler on a double axle trailer weighing about 7k and also have a slide in camper in the bed that weighs 1200lbs. The truck does amazing. Granted, it drinks the fuel at 7.5mpg, but it’s also paid for. Did I mention it has over 530k miles on it?? 

I just wanted to echo again that these motors are not going to pull a grade or hold speed on even a small hill in the 2500rpm range. You are not going to hurt them by revving it hard, they’re made to do it. I go on trips once a month which are 4-7 hours from home and always having to cross mountains. Couple grades I pull are 5-7 miles long and I usually climb them at 3500-4000 rpms and have held it at 5000 a few times as well. It’s not a diesel, they make all their power up above 3500. Don’t be afraid to let it eat!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1/2MillionMile6.0 said:

Some curious reading lead me here. Wondering if the original poster ever found an issue or if he is now happy with the truck. I currently own an 04’ 2500HD CCLB with the 6.0 and 4.10 gears. I tow my rock crawler on a double axle trailer weighing about 7k and also have a slide in camper in the bed that weighs 1200lbs. The truck does amazing. Granted, it drinks the fuel at 7.5mpg, but it’s also paid for. Did I mention it has over 530k miles on it?? 

I just wanted to echo again that these motors are not going to pull a grade or hold speed on even a small hill in the 2500rpm range. You are not going to hurt them by revving it hard, they’re made to do it. I go on trips once a month which are 4-7 hours from home and always having to cross mountains. Couple grades I pull are 5-7 miles long and I usually climb them at 3500-4000 rpms and have held it at 5000 a few times as well. It’s not a diesel, they make all their power up above 3500. Don’t be afraid to let it eat!!

original engine????!!!

10 hours ago, i82much said:

original engine????!!!

No. The engine has been replaced once and the transmission twice. The fist motor went 350k. 

The truck drives nice and tight, straight, and handles very good. I recently had to replace the AC system. It spends its whole life towing basically. If I could figure out how to post some pics I would, but this forum is strange to me. I spend all my time over on NC4x4.com, I wound up here cause I’m thinking of buying a 26’ Gooseneck trailer that I can just leave my camper on the front of and pull the Jeep on. But I fear it may be too much for this truck to haul across the mountains, but I may try it anyway. Then I’ll just explain to the wife “looks like I gotta buy a bigger truck” 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1/2MillionMile6.0 said:

No. The engine has been replaced once and the transmission twice. The fist motor went 350k. 

that's great.  I bought mine thinking I would never need to buy another truck, or at least that it would last 20 years.  I think it will.  Going to get a gas sipper for a daily and just count on my 6.0 truck to be there when I need it for many years.  

On 9/12/2017 at 12:14 PM, SMiller said:

I would agree.  The L96 was introduced in 2010 MY.  

Edited by Cowpie

• 1 month later...

I have a 2018 2500 with 4-10 gears and a 8 speed transmission. I live in north east Texas with flat ground. My RV weights roughly 6500 lbs and I cant run 70 with out thinking I am going to blow it up. This truck dont even like my 5000lb welding trailer. 

It now has 15500 miles on it and I have tried every kinda gas they make .  It's been in the shop 3 or 4 time to see if something is wrong with it and they cant find anything.    Not happy at all with this pig