Looking at doing ziebart rust proofing

I have a 2011 that the underbody is showing considerable rust on frame and all other parts under the body. The truck only has 34k miles. I have had it since new and I thought I always took pretty good car of it. Looking to have it for quite some time longer. Wondering if applying undercoating would help. Hoping that it is not too late to apply this product as truck in my opinion has some significant rust on frame, axle, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

It can't hurt but you should have done it right away if you knew you were going to keep it for a long time.

Any rust proving system is only as good as the quality of the application. :happysad:

If you live in NY, I'd suggest you consider Carwell for rustproofing. They have locations in the Buffalo and Syracuse areas. You might wanna visit their website to learn about their product and process. Also advisable to read online reviews from satisfied customers. I believe the cost is something like:

Standard Cab: $100

Extended Cab: $110

Crew Cab: $120

Best Of Luck.

If you live in NY, I'd suggest you consider Carwell for rustproofing. They have locations in the Buffalo and Syracuse areas. You might wanna visit their website to learn about their product and process. Also advisable to read online reviews from satisfied customers. I believe the cost is something like:

Standard Cab: $100

Extended Cab: $110

Crew Cab: $120

Best Of Luck.

Did not know about them.

there is local place that does the Rust Check and its $225 for crew cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Strongly suggest you visit their website to learn more about them. I studied various options rather extensively and have only read positive feedback about them. I don't have any first hand experience with their treatment yet, but I'm about 200 miles away from them and am seriously considering driving out there for an application. I called with a few questions and they were very reasonable to deal with.

I 've been through one my winter and regret not doing more on rust proofing. Don't lower your spare tire it will scare you with all the rust. I was considering zeibart as well because they have several local places. Not sure how their product works with gm wax crap. Also do they need to put something on the areas that have rust before applying their product? I guess I will have to start calling around to ask them questions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I was researching rustproofing, I'm afraid my findings for Ziebart weren't very positive.

My fuzzy recollection on the nature of complaints is:

It tended to seal any existing rust in, allowing it to advance.

If there was damage to the integrity of the coating, it could actually trap contaminants (e.g. road salt) and hold them against the metal.

There was 'weasel room' in the coverage language that allowed them not to be responsible for problems.

Performing vehicle repairs could disturb the integrity of the treatment (e.g. removing bolts, replacing parts, etc.).

Their coating could interfere with performing vehicle repairs (e.g. removing bolts, replacing parts, etc.).

Lots of complaints against individual dealerships (check Yelp, Google, etc.).

As I recall, the best feedback was from people using oil film type treatments (like Carwell).

Like I said, my recollection is a bit fuzzy, but do some reading for yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult to find information.

Coating from the factory is terrible and begins to peel almost immediately. I've seen it peeling on brand new vehicles while they're still in the showroom. Most of it remains on and I'm sure it's better than bare metal, but the peeled away areas are an avenue in for rust to begin and spread from there.

From what I read, if I lived in NY, I'd be heading to Carwell. I don't live in NY, but may very well be heading there anyway.

I have also seen a post about buying more cans something similar to what comes from the factory and doing touch up. Can't remember the name of the stuff.

A good friend of mine has a brother who works for zeibart so I will see if I can get an honest opinion from someone who applys the stuff every day

• 3 months later...

I finally went to The Rust Cop Shop and had the Carwell product applied. I must say they did a very thorough job applying the coating. Since it is oil based, it also has lubricative qualities and is supposed to protect electrical connections as well. They were good to deal with and answered all my questions. I've read only positive reviews about the protection that it provides. It's too early to tell how it will hold up, however, I have every reason to believe that the results should be positive. I'm not easy to impress, but I really was impressed with both the product and their service. I would suggest anyone exploring rustproofing consider them as an option.

• 4 weeks later...
I finally went to The Rust Cop Shop and had the Carwell product applied. I must say they did a very thorough job applying the coating. Since it is oil based, it also has lubricative qualities and is supposed to protect electrical connections as well. They were good to deal with and answered all my questions. I've read only positive reviews about the protection that it provides. It's too early to tell how it will hold up, however, I have every reason to believe that the results should be positive. I'm not easy to impress, but I really was impressed with both the product and their service. I would suggest anyone exploring rustproofing consider them as an option.
If you don't mind, can you give me an approximate cost you paid? Does it come with a lifetime warranty? Do you have to go back every year to touch it up?

I believe they charge $100 for standard cabs, $110 for extended and $120 for crew. You do need to go back for annual retreatment and they will guarantee no rust as long as you do that.
Why is that so cheap!!? Think zeibart was like $600

I believe they charge $100 for standard cabs, $110 for extended and $120 for crew. You do need to go back for annual retreatment and they will guarantee no rust as long as you do that.
Do you pay $120 each year or once up front?

Archived