Builder wants meth

I was talking to my engine builder today about my upcoming procharger install on my 6.2l. He said him, and the guy who does the tunes (who both have great reputations) both feel that water methanol injection is a must with these new direct injected engines when boosted due to the fact the stock injectors are at 90% duty on a stock engine already. With the procharger, and meth I'll be sitting at around 675hp at the crank. So is the meth safe for a daily driver? I've heard a few horror stories of guys accidentally letting theirs run out, and throwing a rod through the block. Help me engine gurus! Thanks!

Meh, if you wanna play your gonna pay.

I guess in that case not paying stoppedd the playing lol. Seriously though the supercharger alone makes about 610hp. The methanol injection is the other 65hp which is fairy impressive I guess. I just talked with another engine guy that said never run water methanol on a daily. Too much misinformation these days.

Steer clear of them for tuning. They don't know what they are talking about. The injectors are not at 90% or else there wouldn't be people like me making 700 at the crank on the stock fuel system.

Steer clear of them for tuning. They don't know what they are talking about. The injectors are not at 90% or else there wouldn't be people like me making 700 at the crank on the stock fuel system.

Yeah basically it's boiling down to the fact that where I live there isn't anyone boosting di engines yet. He's really good with the ls engines. I just think they haven't worked with any di stuff yet, and they are trying to be safe than sorry. I'm probably just going to use the tune from procharger for now.

Yeah basically it's boiling down to the fact that where I live there isn't anyone boosting di engines yet. He's really good with the ls engines. I just think they haven't worked with any di stuff yet, and they are trying to be safe than sorry. I'm probably just going to use the tune from procharger for now.

That's what I would do. These things are a completely different beast and the guys used to tuning port injection have a hard time letting go of the old way and thinking they new way. You don't run out of injectors so much on these as you run out of time to inject. Not to say meth isn't worth the added bonus, just make sure you're using someone who truly knows how to work with the torque tables required to tune these motors correctly. I would check out the Corvette forum and see who is having good luck on the C7's. Might be someone I'm your area they can suggest. Or you can tackle it on your own and I can help walk you through it.

That's what I would do. These things are a completely different beast and the guys used to tuning port injection have a hard time letting go of the old way and thinking they new way. You don't run out of injectors so much on these as you run out of time to inject. Not to say meth isn't worth the added bonus, just make sure you're using someone who truly knows how to work with the torque tables required to tune these motors correctly. I would check out the Corvette forum and see who is having good luck on the C7's. Might be someone I'm your area they can suggest. Or you can tackle it on your own and I can help walk you through it.

Thank you! I'm on there now checking out all I can find. A lot to learn. I'll definitely hit you up if I need any help. I'm perfectly fine leaving power on the table for reliability.

DI is very different tuning wise...I'm at a solid 10 psi no meth with a TVS1900 Maggie.

RT

That's what I've read that guys are able to get a lot out of these di engines boosted. So do you think 7lbs of boost should have pretty good reliability granted I don't abuse it? I will drive this truck over 20k miles a year.

That's what I've read that guys are able to get a lot out of these di engines boosted. So do you think 7lbs of boost should have pretty good reliability granted I don't abuse it? I will drive this truck over 20k miles a year.

Hell yeah you will be fine with 7psi. I run the shit out of mine at 10psi and it's fine.

RT

Hell yeah you will be fine with 7psi. I run the shit out of mine at 10psi and it's fine.

RT

10psi with stock everything. I was going to have them set it at the minimum or 6. Didn't know they could handle that

Yep, just running short of fuel around 9psi, and by short I mean commanding .86 lambda and it drifts to .88, still very safe. Might have to pull 3 or 4 degrees of timing but other than that everything is good to go.

Archived