2017 2500hd duramax driving issues

I have a 2017 2500hd ltz duramax and it drives terrible. Feels like a snake in the rear end and when you hook a trailer on it's a nightmare to drive. Pulled 4 different trailers and with the way it drives it puts a nasty whip in the trailer. Been to 3 different dealers and 1 replaced the Goodyear tires with michlens and didn't fix the problem. Another was told by a gm engineer to loosen all the rear suspension bolts and retorque them and it did nothing. I drove 2 others on the lot and they felt worse. There is nothing wrong with the trailer cause my 2015 2500 duramax did perfect pulling them. The truck is going back to the dealer on Monday for a few days and they are having an engineer come look at it. It has 3500 miles on it and it's done this since it was new.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the techs and service managers at all of the dealerships. One of my trailers only weighs 3000 pounds and you can't drive it over 60 mph cause it gets to whipping so bad.

There was someone else that had the same issue sometime back. This chassis has been unchanged since '11 with no issues, I believe you on the issue, it is not normal and I hope they get to the bottom of it.

If you drove two others on the lot and they felt the same, I wonder if there is something that the dealership has to do to the pickup before putting it on the lot, maybe tighten certain bolts?

Just a thought

If you drove two others on the lot and they felt the same, I wonder if there is something that the dealership has to do to the pickup before putting it on the lot, maybe tighten certain bolts?

Just a thought

No

So there is no way it's the trailer? Sway at speed is usually tongue weight or too much weight to the rear. How does the trailer sit hooked to the truck, tongue up or down. If a 2 or 3 axle trailer this can matter. Is the trailer loaded? The truck may be really stiff and is jerking the trailer around. Just some questions, it's hard not being able to see it. Does it have a sway Bar?

It does it with all 4 of my trailers. I have even pulled them completely empty. My 2015 didn't have this trouble, this truck seems really soft in the rear springs to me.

That could be, the trailer is jerking the truck, a bigger sway bar and air bags or even new springs. They can take these apart and add stiffer leafs, you can custom make to your taste, most alternate with 3500 leafs mixed in. Did you try a 3500. If that works tell them you will buy the truck if they put those springs on.

I just bought this truck, I have only had it for 3 weeks and put 3500 miles on it so I really don't want to trade again. I considered air bags but I shouldn't have to spend money on a $67,000 truck to make it pull a trailer.

The odd thing is that you said it was worse with 2 other trucks on the lot. So its not something specific to your truck. I agree you should not have to add airbags or swaybar to pull a 3000lb trailer. Just out of curiosity were the other trucks diesels or gas? Not that it should make a difference in handling.

I am wondering if its possible that something between the stabilitrac and the trailers is acting funky....just a shot in the dark. Maybe try turning off the stabilitrac and see if anything changes.

Good Luck

Both of the other trucks were diesels, one was an exact twin to my truck and one at another dealer was the same except for the color. I tried turning off the stabilitrack and it didn't make a difference. Two of my trailers are bumper hitch and 2 are gooseneck and it even does it with the goosenecks.

Archived