2017 2500hd duramax driving issues

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the truck has an issue with the new steering box.

Lots are posting on the duramax forums about towing with the 17's, and I don't recall anyone with a trailer sway complaint. Not suggesting yours isn't, but it seems likely that something is different/wrong with your truck.

Hopefully this means they can correct it.

I also have a 17 2500 LTZ Dmax Double Cab. Have had it about 4 weeks and have a little over 1000 miles on it. I have towed twice - once towing my old TT across town to trade it for my new one and taking the new one camping last weekend. The truck is very stable solo and when we came home with the new TT the dealer had the WD bars too tight and it felt horrible. On our camping trip I did not have the WD bars cranked up as high as coming home for the dealer. I was sagging a bit at the hitch but it towed much better.

I know there is something with the digital steering assist that senses if you have a load or are towing and adjusts the amount of power assist. I am not sure how they set up the sensors for this feature, but I suspect that some of my problems with the initial tow of the new TT were because the WD bars being torqued so far up and the rear end of the truck was way light.

Again solo there have been no steering issues, and it only felt goosey on the trip home from the TT dealer not on the 200 mi camping trip where we ran with the TT a bit front low - truck just about level and all was good.

BTW the trailer is a 31' 8000 ORV Timber Ridge 25RDS and we love it.

Heard from the dealership and a gm engineer said it was preforming how it was designed and another said I would just have to get used to it swaying around. Apparently gym doesn't care about its products or customers. So now I am at a loss as to what to do with the truck.

Shot in the dark but here it goes. Usually the problem is the ball height in reference to your trailer and weight distribution. Does your truck sit taller and change the angle of the trailer? I would check with your local trailer dealer to see if your trailer is correctly mated to your truck.

It does it with my goosenecks and bumper pulls. It's the exact same height as my 2015 abd it didn't have any issues. It has the same problem without a trailer but a trailer magnifies it tremendously.

I'd be looking up that thread on this forum regarding the digital steering and wandering...there are a laundry list of TSB for wandering issues with that setup. You don't have a trailer problem or a towing problem, you have a steering problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

With regards to the steering box issue that started on the 2016 models I think that most of the problems were on crew cabs which are all built in Flint. Single and Double cabs are built in Ft Wayne. So there could be a difference in suppliers/batches between the two plants.

The thread on the steering issues got too big to follow.

Good point - maybe the new one is being too smart about how it's going to handle while hooked up to the trailer. Might be worth finding a back round and taking the trailer for a spin without it plugged into the truck.

​

​Hope it all gets fixed, I've heard some pretty good things about the new duramax.

I am wondering if its possible that something between the stabilitrac and the trailers is acting funky....just a shot in the dark. Maybe try turning off the stabilitrac and see if anything changes.

Picked it up from the dealer and they say the gm engineer says it's driving as designed but it's getting worse. Chevrolet obliviously has a problem but nobody wants to admit to it. Three different dealers say it drives terrible but don't know what to do about it. I am at a loss in what to do at this point. They said they would trade me into a new one but wanted $5k difference but I told them I shouldn't have to pay for a faulty product. I just want mine fixed but apparently that's not possible. I would like the power steering assist unhooked to see if that would change it but they won't do that. Anybody have any ideas???

Try more tongue weight might help. First time I pulled my tractor (2013 JD 4120 with frontend loader, backhoe, and water in the tires) it was all over the place, had to pull over on the interstate and move the tractor farther forward by alot. I should have paid more attention but it barely loaded the truck I just put it where I tow it with my 2007 2500 HD classic it has helper bags too. YMMV

My truck has 1000 miles on owned less than a month, 2500 HD LTZ Midnight Edition 6.6 loving it!!!

Try more tongue weight might help. First time I pulled my tractor (2013 JD 4120 with frontend loader, backhoe, and water in the tires) it was all over the place, had to pull over on the interstate and move the tractor farther forward by alot. I should have paid more attention but it barely loaded the truck I just put it where I tow it with my 2007 2500 HD classic it has helper bags too. YMMV

My truck has 1000 miles on owned less than a month, 2500 HD LTZ Midnight Edition 6.6 loving it!!!

Good for you seen so many crazy load trailers lately I wonder how they ever get where there going. Had the same thing happen to me loaded up my heavy gear in the trailer and had to stop asap and rearrange.

Archived