Vacuum pump delete

My though on it is why would these motors pull much different then say a last gen 5.3. I wouldn't say the direct injection would have a whole lot of effect. They still have the same displacement. Did the last gen trucks have a vacuum pump for 4cyl mode or how did they get around it? I may be totally wrong but it still should be similar at the intake.

Could be related to the changes they made with the cam/cam phaser that allowed them to not use an EGR system.

The engine does pull plenty of vacuum at times. Might be able to add a vacuum reservoir with a check valve between it and the intake manifold. That way you can build up vacuum in the tank for use in a situation when the engine itself isn't pulling enough vacuum. I've read about old muscle cars with hot cams that used a similar setup to improve braking performance.

CRN-99590-1_VV_xl.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99590-1/overview/

These kits allow you to store the vacuum you need to use your vacuum-assisted power brakes. Crane vacuum reserve systems use a one-way check valve that will store the vacuum until you need it. The kits can be installed in tight areas, and come complete with all necessary hardware, except for the power brake hose.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

• 7 months later...

Hello.

I was looking into this, and discovered that since 2015 (my truck´s model) GM updated the part number for the vacuum pumps on 5.3 Silverados.

The new part number is: GM 12669488

Maybe they realized they were prone to fail and the update is a better, longer lasting choice?

6 hours ago, VdellaV said:

Hello.

I was looking into this, and discovered that since 2015 (my truck´s model) GM updated the part number for the vacuum pumps on 5.3 Silverados.

The new part number is: GM 12669488

Maybe they realized they were prone to fail and the update is a better, longer lasting choice?

I have been tempted to replace the vacuum pump on my Sierra. I'm around 112,000 miles and every now and then I notice a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. It's definitely louder on the driver side and not DI related. I picked up a mechanics stethoscope and the vacuum pump sounds louder then any thing else on the engine. I checked the vacuum line that goes from the pump to the booster and it was dry. Sounds like if there is oil in it then its a sign of the pump failing and then everything in the system is supposed to be replaced (according to a service bulletin). A new pump is around $130 but that would be a lot cheaper then replacing all the power brake components if it failed.

38 minutes ago, gone_fishing said:

I have been tempted to replace the vacuum pump on my Sierra. I'm around 112,000 miles and every now and then I notice a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. It's definitely louder on the driver side and not DI related. I picked up a mechanics stethoscope and the vacuum pump sounds louder then any thing else on the engine. I checked the vacuum line that goes from the pump to the booster and it was dry. Sounds like if there is oil in it then its a sign of the pump failing and then everything in the system is supposed to be replaced (according to a service bulletin). A new pump is around $130 but that would be a lot cheaper then replacing all the power brake components if it failed.

It would also be awesome if you disected the old pump to see where the damage is and reported the results :D

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/15/2017 at 1:45 AM, shrekmoose said:

Anyone deleted this vacuum pump yet? My afm has been tuned out so I should have enough vacuum for the power brakes. My question is where to hook the vacuum line into and what if anything will need to be tuned out. I know there is at least one electrical connection on the vacuum line so I'm assuming it's going to throw at least some kind of CEL if it's gone. Was thinking about T-ing into one of the pcv lines that go into the throttle body for vacuum.

I know its been more than a year ,but I'm curious if you ended up doing the delete on the vacuum pump, and if you did , can you explain the process please.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:34 PM, VdellaV said:

It would also be awesome if you disected the old pump to see where the damage is and reported the results :D

Saw this post and it reminded me I took pics. Started new thread: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/217260-vacuum-pump-replaced-pics-comparing-old-vs-new-design/