Chevy Colorado ZR2 - What Folks Who Drove It Are Saying

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-15855700-1494881721_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5-15-2017

This past week, journalists from around the country converged to drive the ZR2 at the media launch. Our own report is in video processing and we plan to post it up tomorrow. As a preface of our own full report, we'd like to offer a montage of what our fellow drivers thought of the truck.

Autoblog - Alex Kierstein

"The meaty 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires are churning like those old-timey steam shovels, but instead of grinding through to a payday of ore we're turning the surface of the track into laughs and dust plumes." "If you were imagining Raptor-like Trophy Truck float, the relative firmness of the ZR2's DSSV shocks will be a surprise." "...the lockers really made a difference on the ice-slick stone."

Road and Track - Bob Sorokanich

"The first time I laid eyes on the production Chevy Colorado ZR2, it was catching air. The second, third, and fourth times, it was doing the same." "The ZR2 swallows up landings with absolutely zero drama. The trick dampers, with a unique rebound valve up front to handle full-extension air time, ease the truck down without clanging or bottoming out. No other factory 4x4 makes landing a jump feel more unremarkable." "Even the full-size off-road pickups that overshadow the midsize Colorado in size and price don't feel this well-rounded."

Motor Trend - Miguel Cortina"...what impressed me the most was how easy it was to maneuver the Colorado ZR2. When pushing the off-road button, the ABS and the stability and traction control systems do not intervene as much, allowing the ZR2 to easily drift on the dirt." "The diesel engine roared, and seconds later there was silence in the cabin as we caught a few inches of air."

Trucks.com - Jerry Hirsch

"...the ZR2 will be leading its midsize competitors on just about any dirt trail." "The squishy feel a driver encounters in other off-road trucks at highway speeds is absent in the ZR2."

Gear Junkie - Byron Dorr

"With aggressive lines and functional upgrades to front and rear bumpers that greatly improve entry and departure angles, it looks downright mean." "This is a versatile machine though, and in driving, it shined in a WIDE range of off-road situations. And while it really impressed off the tarmac, this truck is snappy and responsive on-road too." "This suspension technology has raised the bar. It works equally well on- and off-road. It truly shines in tight paved corners and at speed off-road."

Car and Driver - Jared Gall

"...you need to bully the Colorado through turns more than you do the Raptor, with heavier inputs required to unsettle it, but it takes the abuse with a shrug, and the dampers keep the tires in contact with the dirt no matter what sort of shenanigans the driver tries." "The gas V-6 is more flexible and yields a truck that is 250 pounds lighter than the diesel. In our testing of regular Colorados, an example with the six hit 60 mph in just 6.1 seconds, while a similarly-spec’d diesel needed 9.2. The diesel acquits itself quite well in higher-speed stuff if you drive with two feet to keep the turbo spooled, but it’s more work and less fun." "...this Colorado is a potent crawler, a capable desert runner, and the Chevy truck division’s best ever application of the letters Z and R."

• 4 months later...

Two months with my new smaller truck and loving it! My Sierra was an amazing truck but I didn’t need a 6.2L. I own a small ranch but I never need to pull anything over 5 thousand pounds. Mostly I am crossing the fields carrying equipment, crossing a creek or checking fence lines. This smaller package makes sense for me. More maneuverable and better fuel economy. The added lift gets me over creeks and streams. Clears stumps and other debris. 

Archived