Found something I truly hate about my new truck

I have a New 2017 Silverado 1500 Z71. Spent the day under my truck today. Installed a set of Bestop Powerboard NXs and replaced the Plastic skid plates with metal ones (I can't believe a Z71 comes with plastic skid plates). Now what I truly hate. Whoever came up the whatever the frame is coated with, needs a severe beating. That stuff is just nasty. Everywhere I touched it I came back covered in it. I swear I look like I spent a week under my old 78 power wagon that leaked from every seal. Even worse, as that stuff gets rubbed off you know the frame is going to rust. Has anyone removed it and how? What did you paint with? I like to work on my truck but I will dread having to get underneath it.

I have a New 2017 Silverado 1500 Z71. Spent the day under my truck today. Installed a set of Bestop Powerboard NXs and replaced the Plastic skid plates with metal ones (I can't believe a Z71 comes with plastic skid plates). Now what I truly hate. Whoever came up the whatever the frame is coated with, needs a severe beating. That stuff is just nasty. Everywhere I touched it I came back covered in it. I swear I look like I spent a week under my old 78 power wagon that leaked from every seal. Even worse, as that stuff gets rubbed off you know the frame is going to rust. Has anyone removed it and how? What did you paint with? I like to work on my truck but I will dread having to get underneath it.

Fast orange scrub cleanser you can pick up at any auto parts store does a wonder at removing it. Staple of any garage sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff will fall off in sheets in a couple years. Followed by extensive rust.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Um no, if that were true there would be tons of frames being replaced and tens of thousands of others that already covered in holes. How can GM have a 6 year 100k rust warranty if it "falls off in sheets followed by extensive rust"? A little surface rust over times happens on every truck brand and is in no way weakening the frame, not to mention it is a frame and a little aesthetic un-pleasantry should be nothing to complain about. I will end this with "What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul". So much fun quoting Billy Madison.

Tyler

I use to spray my frames with rubberized undercoat. Maybe that would solid up the wax stuff and not rub off so easy. I used it on inner fenders too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um no, if that were true there would be tons of frames being replaced and tens of thousands of others that already covered in holes. How can GM have a 6 year 100k rust warranty if it "falls off in sheets followed by extensive rust"? A little surface rust over times happens on every truck brand and is in no way weakening the frame, not to mention it is a frame and a little aesthetic un-pleasantry should be nothing to complain about. I will end this with "What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul". So much fun quoting Billy Madison.

Tyler

Warranty is actually 3 year 36k now. And the rusf has to be a rust hole through the panel. and there is a tsb about the problem of delamination of the "rust" coating. Get familiar.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This coating does not come off in sheets after a few years. It simply gets thin and allows contaminants access to the underlying metal. If you can keep a good coating of a similar material on it, there will be no issues.

Be aware that fluid film will basically dissolve the factory wax dip, leaving big blotchy pieces of frame exposed.

Tyler

Because the frame won't rot through in 6 years even if it was left uncoated...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

People on here crack me up. My 06 i had over 9 years in Ohio with 9 winters on it. And the frame was fine. They will get some surface rust it's normal. People think the frame is going to rot and break in half.

Archived