Eaton G80 Locker

Help me understand...I come from a jeep with electronic front and rear lockers. They rock but occasionally, by the time I remembered to use them I was already in serious trouble.

The automatic G80...does it work all the time? Or do I have to turn of stab control? Or does it not work when stab control is off? Help me understand how to use it and if anything special needs to be set for it to actuate.

Thank you

¨ Optional Equipment (G80 Order Code) on all GM two-wheel and four-wheel drive light trucks and sport utilities.

Benefits

¨ Improved traction differentiates the vehicle relative to other rear wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles on the market.

¨ Maintenance free; requires no lube additives.

¨ Enhanced towing and off-road performance.

¨ Patented carbon friction disc technology enhances performance and durability while reducing warranty claims.

Principles of Operation

¨ Wheel speed difference (left to right) in excess of 100 RPM will cause a flyweight mechanism to open and catch a latching bracket.

¨ The stopped flyweight will trigger a self-energizing clutch system, which results in the cam plate ramping against a side gear.

¨ Ramping increases until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip.

¨ At speeds above 20MPH, the latching bracket swings away from the governor and prevents lockup from occurring.

Technical Specifications

¨ Automatic locking takes place within a fraction of a second, so smoothly that it is unnoticed by the average driver.

¨ Unlocking occurs automatically, once the need for improved traction is gone, and is unnoticeable to the average driver.

¨ Compatible with anti-lock brake systems.

Eaton Locker is a great differential, far superior to limited slip. As the posts above state, under 20 mph, any slippage and both wheels lock up. They will work with stability control on or off, but if you have stability control off, the ass end will swing out real fast. My 08 Dually Duramax did not have stability control, the SRW trucks did have it in 08, not the duallies and I had to be careful going around a corner if I was too heavy on the throttle. I had that thing sideways a few times. Thankfully my 16 Dually does have stability control and keeps the big beast going straight. After owning so many Ford HDs with the useless limited slip rear ends I was so impressed with the locker on my 08 and now on my 16. Of course the amazing torque on my Duramax had the rear wheels break free a lot easier than my 6.0 gasser so the 08 really should have had stability control. On the Duramax I was pulling my empty box trailer on dry pavement, started into a merge lane and planted it, my ass end swung out , whipped the box trailer like a rag doll, and busted the plywood floor out of the trailer from the frame flex. I just had to put a new floor in, the trailer can haul 4000 pounds of gravel, and with a Dually you don't know it's there. Hauled many loads of gravel with SRW trucks back in the day when I had my masonry business, with SRW , you always knew you had a trailer in tow.

Back on topic, an Eaton Locker is another good reason to buy a GM HD truck.

The G80 is a great feature especially since it's standard on the HD's. I've had four GM trucks with a G80 (or whatever the equivalent was on the respective models at the time); a 2007 Classic 1500 Z71 Crew LT, a 2008 Vortec Max Crew, a 2008 2500 LTZ with a 6.0/4.10's and my current truck. The auto locker makes a nice thud when it engages and works like a charm for daily driving and basic off road.

My 2016 is the only one where it barely ever engages under normal conditions and I assume it's because the traction control is more refined. The Vortec Max had Stabilitrak but I remember it engaging much like the other 2008 and the 2007. An electric locker is a much better option for hardcore off-roading but the G80 is the best around and definitely a selling feature. The G80 is lifetime durable for the average driver.

Archived