Raw deal

Spurshot

The Poem. And it's a damn tear jerker too for many of us.

2135c6916dd83661a28d645b7ad52191.jpg

We were out on the peninsula at the old lighthouse park when a lady started up a conversation with us. She and her family were celebrating her dog's life that had just passed and she figured out that we were taking ours out for her last good days. She read this poem to us.

We've been taking her around to her favorite places.

Saturday, we took her shooting to Triple B in South El Monte. I asked the guys I shoot with regularly, and whom have all hunted birds over her, to come out. She was happy as a clam to see them and watch them shoot. We had to haul her around the clays course in the wagon. But that clearly didn't stop her from enjoying it.

DSC_1003%20enhanced%20reduced%20file%20w

DSC_1066%20enhanced%20reduced%20file%20w

Sunday we took her to the peninsula lighthouse at Point Fermin.

DSC_1263%20enhanced%20reduced%20file%20w

Monday was grandma's and my wife's sister's house to see them.

Today, was up on a trail on a hill above our house. But we had to drive to the closest street and only walked about 60-70 yards this time.

DSC_1390%20reduced%20file%20websize_zpsa

After the hill trip, it was off to IN-N-OUT for a burger patty.

DSC_1437%20reduced%20file%20websize_zpsi

Then a little trip to the local park where I trained her and she played with other dogs.

DSC_1483%20reduced%20file%20websize_zpsg

We're enjoying her company while we can. She seems to be enjoying all of it.

Maybe this will give you a chuckle. Damn dog figured out how to get in the pool by going under the railing and sliding in. It's not even open yet winter cover is still on. To smart for his own good

93ef644560bfe8c3d8207f7e2e4e64b9.jpg

Ryan B.

Maybe this will give you a chuckle. Damn dog figured out how to get in the pool by going under the railing and sliding in. It's not even open yet winter cover is still on. To smart for his own good

93ef644560bfe8c3d8207f7e2e4e64b9.jpg

Ryan B.

Fun stuff Ryan. Nothing like a young pup being a pup.

"My Emma's Jasmine" or just Jasmine. November 9, 2005 - May 25, 2017. A great bird dog, a best friend, loved people and other dogs.

In her prime....

jas%20n%20crass%20cropped%20small_zps2tg

Sorry to hear about this, brother. I know the pain. We don't have any dogs over here, but we love our cats just the same. I'm tearing up reliving this whole ordeal. You're doing the best you can for him, spurshot - know that you gave him the best life possible, & I believe we will all be reunited with our furry friends at the end.

I had a 21 lb. Maine Coon named Buddy. He was more like a dog than a cat! He'd growl when strangers came to the door, he'd attack the neighborhood dogs and make them cower, LOL - constant entertainment. Whenever I was in the house, he was by my side, or sleeping on my chest when I was asleep. Never realized how tight that bond was until he was gone. He went so fast and unexpectedly - ripped my heart out. Worst experience I have ever been through. Unbeknownst to me, he had heart failure. He had thinned down from 21 lbs. to 11 just before he passed. One day he sat on the floor and was staring at me. I reached out to pet him, and he jumped up on the computer desk and just laid right down. I could hear fluid in his lungs. Brought him to the vet, and they prescribed a bunch of different meds. Getting him to take them was nearly impossible. He'd eat around them if we hid them in food, and masking them in whipped cream or mayo only worked a couple times. I had no choice but to force-feed them to him, which was just an awful experience.

One night after fishing with my buddy all day long, I came home to find my wife with him in the bathroom - he was laying on the floor, mouth open, barely getting any air in. We carried him to the bedroom and laid him on the carpet. He was crying and gasping, with fluid coming out his nose. Vet was closed - was too late in the night. I gave him a shot of one of my asthma inhalers. Seemed to reverse the decline - I thought he was going to die right there and then. Long and painful story short, he made it through the night. The next day, it seemed he was back to normal, aside from being extremely tired from the stress of the night before. He slept most of the day on the kitchen floor. I had some jobs to get done out in the barn, so I checked on him periodically throughout the day as I was in and out. Things were looking good. That night he ate his canned food like he always has, and laid out on the porch with the other 3 cats, as has been the routine.

Next day was a Saturday. Wife had to work. I was up at 7am - Buddy came over and rubbed his face all over my feet as I was just getting out of bed. He was happy and energetic. Thought he'd recover and the meds would bring him back for another year or 2. Everything was great .. until it was medication time. The stress on him of me trying to get the meds down was too much. He became lethargic, and laid out on the porch. When I noticed he hadn't moved in a while, I checked on him. Mouth was open again, struggling to breathe. I couldn't go through this again. Called my vet, and they said to get him down as quick as I could. The ride was excruciating. At one point he screamed like someone had stepped on his paw later discovered that he had blood clots in his hind legs) - he looked up at me as if to say, "help me". That image is seared in my mind forever.

Got him to the vet, and they brought him in back immediately. I had just sat down and grabbed a cup of water out of the cooler, relieved for a second that he was in good hands. That relief lasted about 30 seconds. Vet called me into one of the rooms. Told me it wasn't looking good. I couldn't' wrap my head around what she was telling me. Another vet burst in from the back asking his weight - they needed to sedate him. They were trying to examine him but he was flailing around in distress. Not 2 minutes later, the same vet came in and told me I had better come back and say goodbye. I was stunned. Walked in back to see him laying on the metal table motionless. One vet had the stethoscope to his chest. "He's gone" she said. As I put my hand on him, he gasped reflexively twice, and then that was it. 9:30 am - 13 years, gone in the blink of an eye. I've never been so heartbroken in my life.

One thing we did that made us feel a bit better was take a gift certificate my brother had got for me, and bought him a head stone. I buried him out back with my neighbor when I got back from the vet - he helped using his Kubota tractor. Cut a bunch of trees down, and tried to level the area as best I could. It took about 3 weeks for the stone to arrive - the company did an EXCELLENT job. 4everinmyheart.com

My tribute to my buddy, Buddy.

Buddy%20on%20printer%202_zpsy5knsnlc.jpg

IMG_5885_zpsgmgwltrk.jpg

IMG_5884_zpsylgwtrql.jpg

Know your hurt. Lost two in the last two years. One was with us for 14 yrs. Older I get the harder it is. Remember this, good dogs pick you, you don't pick them. That's good times!

Archived