What's your oil consumption?

I was wondering what everyone is seeing for their oil consumption and if they have done and mods (tuning, Range...) and how many miles are on the truck.

GM I believe states that 1qrt burned per 3,000 miles is normal?

Before I get flamed for this, I know I should check my oil more frequently, but checked it yesterday after 3400 on my oil change and was down by 2 quarts. Was not even registering on the dip stick, so added 2 quarts and brought it back to middle of the hash marks on the stick. Currently have 54000 miles on it

Currently only do 50/50 mix of highway and city and tow a 4000lb boat about 15 miles couple times a month. No tune, just a level kit.

Is this more than I should be seeing?

Edited by EFLine

You should probably state the mileage of your truck as well. My 2014 with 20k miles has not consumed any oil.

Thanks, its 54000. I'll update my initial post too.

You should probably state the mileage of your truck as well. My 2014 with 20k miles has not consumed any oil.

Thanks, its 54000. I'll update my initial post too.

I took my 2016 Sierra 5.3L in to the dealer for an oil change last week at 15,000 miles. It was a quart low, and the dealer said that the last time they changed the filter it wasn't tightened enough, so there was some leakage. I never saw oil spots on my driveway, so I'm not convinced.

How much powertrain warranty do you have left? I would keep a log of oil consumption and make sure your dealership is aware of the issue. My last truck got a major engine overhaul prior to the powertrain warranty expiring. I know the feeling of checking my oil and finding none on the dipstick! Burning two quarts of oil between oil changes is not normal or acceptable.

How much powertrain warranty do you have left? I would keep a log of oil consumption and make sure your dealership is aware of the issue. My last truck got a major engine overhaul prior to the powertrain warranty expiring. I know the feeling of checking my oil and finding none on the dipstick! Burning two quarts of oil between oil changes is not normal or acceptable.

Its a CPO so I might actually have some powertrain left on it. If at this rate, 6000 miles between oil changes would be 4 quarts consumed. I'm losing about 2 quarts every 3,000 miles approx.

I had CPO care (dealer does oil changes), and last year between oil changes 7,000 miles i lost about 1.8 quarts. So feeling the issue is getting worse.

Its a CPO so I might actually have some powertrain left on it. If at this rate, 6000 miles between oil changes would be 4 quarts consumed. I'm losing about 2 quarts every 3,000 miles approx.

I had CPO care (dealer does oil changes), and last year between oil changes 7,000 miles i lost about 1.8 quarts. So feeling the issue is getting worse.

Follow-up with this. My last trick (09 Sierra 5.3) didn't burn any noticeable amount of oil between changes after they completed the repair. It did take a lot of documented evidence to get them to do the repair.

Let's get the facts straight....They all consume oil ICE that is their nature the amount that is registered on your dipstick has about 50 or so variables attached to that? What your stating is FAR TOO MUCH for the mileage accrued on engine and hrs etc.!

Your going to need to have dealer document if under powertrain and you should do so yourself....Always in same spot on LEVEL surface...just a slight degree on these trucks will skew the reading significantly.

It sounds like something more is going on as these engines have been enhanced to avoid most oil consumption problem areas like the previous generations and most people have agreed that it's really not a problem anymore on normal working engine....

I just changed my oil yesterday @ 10,000 miles and it consumed 200ml or 1/4 of a quart from 20K-30k on odometer. Using 0W-20 I would have thought 2 quarts of that "water" would be gone so I am completely satisfied about that oil consumption.

I just changed my oil yesterday @ 10,000 miles and it consumed 200ml or 1/4 of a quart from 20K-30k on odometer. Using 0W-20 I would have thought 2 quarts of that "water" would be gone so I am completely satisfied about that oil consumption.

last year on my CPO care, I got an ear full from the service manager that I let my oil change go 7,000 miles and that was the cause of losing 1.8 quarts. Good to know I am not the only one to go past 6,000 miles. Also using Valvoline Full Synthetic 0w20 DEXOS

Let's get the facts straight....They all consume oil ICE that is their nature the amount that is registered on your dipstick has about 50 or so variables attached to that? What your stating is FAR TOO MUCH for the mileage accrued on engine and hrs etc.!

Your going to need to have dealer document if under powertrain and you should do so yourself....Always in same spot on LEVEL surface...just a slight degree on these trucks will skew the reading significantly.

It sounds like something more is going on as these engines have been enhanced to avoid most oil consumption problem areas like the previous generations and most people have agreed that it's really not a problem anymore on normal working engine....

thanks for the advice! Always measure in the same spot on my level garage floor, also the same spot I do the oil changes to try and minimize variables in measurement.

Edited by EFLine

last year on my CPO care, I got an ear full from the service manager that I let my oil change go 7,000 miles and that was the cause of losing 1.8 quarts. Good to know I am not the only one to go past 6,000 miles. Also using Valvoline Full Synthetic 0w20 DEXOS

thanks for the advice! Always measure in the same spot on my level garage floor, also the same spot I do the oil changes to try and minimize variables in measurement.

Don't be worried about going over the length of OIL Change Interval. GM did add 2qts for this GDI engine and they know the "HIGH QUALITY OIL" will get you to 7,500 most likely 10K but they just cover it all now with 7.5K

The Carbon and Coking is inherent to these engines! What they are not telling you is........You need to flush the friggin stuff out of the valve components, rings etc......At some kind of interval i.e. 30K-40K-50K etc.

I would tell you what you could possible do to investigate this further or reduce much consumption but it seems that burning the amount your stating is just far too much to not have some type of issue causing this?

I was hoping that the current generation had the AFM problems ironed out, but I guess we are seeing more cases proving otherwise. All of us prior-generation GMT900 (2007-2013) owners should've banded together and joined OPEC to get group purchase discounts on oil, we've used so much! At least you new owners have an 8 quart oilpan, so you don't get critically low so quickly. . . :nonod:

Edited by Maverick Z71

I was hoping that the current generation had the AFM problems ironed out, but I guess we are seeing more cases proving otherwise. All of us prior-generation GMT900 (2007-2013) owners should've banded together and joined OPEC to get group purchase discounts on oil, we've used so much! At least you new owners have an 8 quart oilpan, so you don't get critically low so quickly. . . :nonod:

Prior to owning my'09, I had almost forgotten what it was like to top off oil between changes. When GM tried to tell me it was normal to need to add oil regularly, I began a 2 year process to get this problem resolved. I no longer have the paper work on the final fix but it proved I was right. I put an additional 80k (kms) on the truck following the fix, and never needed a top-up between changes.