What's your oil consumption?

I'm just about to 95,000 on my Sierra. Change oil when the OLM tells me (usually between 7,300-7,400 miles). Primarily use Mobil 1 0W-20. Maybe burn 1/2-3/4 between oil changes. Not enough to concern me.

• Like 1

At 36000 miles my truck burned 3/4 quart every 1000 miles.

Dealer did 3 oil consumption tests to confirm it was burning oil. After confirming it was burning oil, they replaced 8 pistons, rings, gasket and found a leak in the fuel line.

• Like 1

2014, 5.3L, 66k miles. 0 oil inbetween oil changes. I also run a catch can that I dump about 3x times per oil interval. Even that 6-10oz of oil from the catch can does not show low on the dip stick. I do 8.0qts. I've been very happy with the PP 0w-20 full syn oil and either Wix or M1 oil filters. I am awaiting the results on my Blackstone oil analysis from a few weeks ago when I did the LOF at 65k. I did notice this truck takes a while for the oil to drain to the pan. I normally will have it parked in the garage, perfect level floor. Mow the grass or have lunch and then check it. Level will be much higher than when you run it, kill it and wait 1 minute to check it. First few LOF's I did 8.5qts per the manual and it was reading high. I later found a TSB or something on here confirming it's now 8.0qts.

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 1

I was wondering what everyone is seeing for their oil consumption and if they have done and mods (tuning, Range...) and how many miles are on the truck.

GM I believe states that 1qrt burned per 3,000 miles is normal?

Before I get flamed for this, I know I should check my oil more frequently, but checked it yesterday after 3400 on my oil change and was down by 2 quarts. Was not even registering on the dip stick, so added 2 quarts and brought it back to middle of the hash marks on the stick. Currently have 54000 miles on it

Currently only do 50/50 mix of highway and city and tow a 4000lb boat about 15 miles couple times a month. No tune, just a level kit.

Is this more than I should be seeing?

Please keep us posted with your progress. You can see by the responses that your truck's oil-consumption is extraordinary. Don't let your dealer tell you it's normal or within specs!

I had a 2009 5.3 aluminum block oil burner so I feel your pain. It is rare to hear about one of these >2014 DI engines with a oil burning problem but the track record is not all that long just yet and they added oil capacity by 25% (6 quarts to 8 quarts) which may be masking the issue a bit. All engines will use some oil no matter how wishful your thinking is LOL.

My 2009 got so bad it was fouling out the spark plugs at 80,000 miles and burning a quart every 500 miles. I know GM has learned a lot since then but it is all up to what the bean counters will allow the engineers to actually do.

post-127028-0-32885000-1473208542_thumb.jpg

post-127028-0-32885000-1473208542_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I will be taking it to the dealer tonight after work and they are more than happy to help me out. New Dealer BTW, 1 hour away but always helpful and treat me well.

They suggest I get an oil consumption test done, and come back every 1,000 miles to check the oil level. Since I'll be traveling for Memorial day, the following weekend and driving around the great lakes soon, figured its a good time to start since the miles will rack up fast.

Glad to see lots of other people are not having the same issue as me, and hoping to get this fixed.

on a side note, my 2003 suburban with 200k miles didnt burn a drop (dip stick measurements, not official) and my wifes 2014 Jeep GC limited doesnt burn anything either. However my neighbors 2009 Suburban burns 4 quarts every 3,000 miles so wondering if alot has to do with AFM? only common ground I can deduct

I had a 2009 5.3 aluminum block oil burner so I feel your pain. It is rare to hear about one of these >2014 DI engines with a oil burning problem but the track record is not all that long just yet and they added oil capacity by 25% (6 quarts to 8 quarts) which may be masking the issue a bit. All engines will use some oil no matter how wishful your thinking is LOL.

My 2009 got so bad it was fouling out the spark plugs at 80,000 miles and burning a quart every 500 miles. I know GM has learned a lot since then but it is all up to what the bean counters will allow the engineers to actually do.

They had a series of steps to solve this problem and I'm sure many gave up on the process before achieving the most effective and expensive fix. I wouldn't accept this oil consumption issue after having 20 years of not having oil burners. People are responding that all internal combustion engines engines burn oil but this loss should be hardly noticeable on your new truck's dipstick between oil change intervals. If you are having to add oil between changes then I would start being concerned.

2014, 5.3L, 66k miles. 0 oil inbetween oil changes. I also run a catch can that I dump about 3x times per oil interval. Even that 6-10oz of oil from the catch can does not show low on the dip stick. I do 8.0qts. I've been very happy with the PP 0w-20 full syn oil and either Wix or M1 oil filters. I am awaiting the results on my Blackstone oil analysis from a few weeks ago when I did the LOF at 65k. I did notice this truck takes a while for the oil to drain to the pan. I normally will have it parked in the garage, perfect level floor. Mow the grass or have lunch and then check it. Level will be much higher than when you run it, kill it and wait 1 minute to check it. First few LOF's I did 8.5qts per the manual and it was reading high. I later found a TSB or something on here confirming it's now 8.0qts.

I agree with what your saying....I too am waiting on a oil analysis from Blackstone. I have same engine 5.3L, Catch Can, use same oil as yourself but have only 30K on a 2016.

I would be very interested if you could post your TBN and Fuel dilution numbers when you get the results for a semi comparison? I do go extended on changes though 10k but would still appreciate it. Thanks, Mook

You got it Mookdoc6. I did opt for the TBN which was was an extra $10 IIR. I'm not interested in long oil change intervals. I've run my truck down to 2 or 3%. I'm telling you, my engine runs so much better on fresh oil. I"m looking at 6K intervals or running it down to 25%.

I agree with what your saying....I too am waiting on a oil analysis from Blackstone. I have same engine 5.3L, Catch Can, use same oil as yourself but have only 30K on a 2016.

I would be very interested if you could post your TBN and Fuel dilution numbers when you get the results for a semi comparison? I do go extended on changes though 10k but would still appreciate it. Thanks, Mook

Here's my latest UOA, for comparison purposes.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4382910/2016_Silverado_5.3L_PUP_@_9000#Post4382910