What's your oil consumption?

It is true, synthetic or glass media filters allow better filtration while delivering a better beta flow rate than traditional cellulose (paper) media filters. On my commercial stuff, I use synthetic media Donaldson filters that offer 15 micron filtration while delivering a better beta flow rate than the 21 micron cellulose filters from the same company. Cellulose media has irregular sized spaces within the media. Synthetic and glass media has a more uniform web type structure, with more spaces for flow while at the same time the spacing in the web is tighter.

On the air filter discussion a while back, I install a Filter Minder on every air box of my vehicles and equipment. I only change air filters when there is restriction starting to show on the gauge. Air filters actually are more effective as they accumulate particulates. A new filter is the worse situation for any engine. Sure, it has a little better air flow, but it also allows the most dirt thru when new.

Edited by Cowpie

Forums are to aid others in maintaining vehicles, so when someone offers advice that is akin to routing their intake plumbing to a bag of sand, THAT does no body any good. There is a difference between opinion and asinine advice.

Hey guys, if you add water to your oil, it'll help your engine run cooler, which means more power.

I don't recall at any time him saying "this is what I do, you should too". If he wants to run his intake into a bag of sand and isn't advocating it for everyone, then who gives a fu@& what he does to HIS truck, it doesn't affect you whatsoever.

Funny, i asked mook to explain his reasoning and got nothing but patronizing comments... I too would like to understand the theory behind extended drains and harsh conditions, perhaps validated by some lab results, or just a viable explanantion. All i took away was a bunch of conjecture to the question based on the lab result you posted as to why a 10K interval would work. Reality is a test on your own results matter more than taking results from someon else. Either way, mook's response is why im very reluctant to buy a used car...that and i expect a scathing reply from him instead of a legitimate mechanical explanation on why an air filter change matters more than an oil and oil filter change in dusty conditions....contradictory to what GM requires. You are right, its his truck, his money he's free to do as he wishes.

I don't recall at any time him saying "this is what I do, you should too". If he wants to run his intake into a bag of sand and isn't advocating it for everyone, then who gives a fu@& what he does to HIS truck, it doesn't affect you whatsoever.

Edited by Silverado Steve

I would expect that. Actually, I would expect that of any engine (except a Wankel engine) for the first 100,000 miles. When it doesn't happen, then things need to be looked at as to what is causing that. After all, my 12.7L Detroit engine, built in 2000, which was factory remanned later and now has almost 700,000 miles on the reman now, has only used 1 qt of oil in 15,000 miles since the last oil change. It has not used more than 2 qt in 25,000 miles for all of it's life after the reman. That a 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, et al, less than 100,000 miles, would even use a qt of oil in 5000 miles doesn't speak very highly of the engine design. I changed the oil in my 2015 2500 6.0 in June of 2016. I am getting ready to change it again. It has had no oil consumption, except maybe a trace, in that time. Will have roughly 5000 miles on the oil when I change it. Now that is what I would expect.

Edited by Cowpie

I would expect that. Actually, I would expect that of any engine (except a Wankel engine) for the first 100,000 miles. When it doesn't happen, then things need to be looked at as to what is causing that. After all, my 12.7L Detroit engine, built in 2000, which was factory remanned later and now has almost 700,000 miles on the reman now, has only used 1 qt of oil in 15,000 miles since the last oil change. It has not used more than 2 qt in 25,000 miles for all of it's life after the reman. That a 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, et al, less than 100,000 miles, would even use a qt of oil in 5000 miles doesn't speak very highly of the engine design. I changed the oil in my 2015 2500 6.0 in June of 2016. I am getting ready to change it again. It has had no oil consumption, except maybe a trace, in that time. Will have roughly 5000 miles on the oil when I change it. Now that is what I would expect.

Keep in mind that we have catch cans catching crap in the PVC line, and some of that crap never makes it out of the crank case...in theory you could have oil consumption and the gas/condensation/etc. buildup may actually offset the loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

There could be truth in that, but then, it would show up in the used oil sample if that were the case. It isn't in anything I am running. Does make a good case that folks should do a used oil sample once in a while to keep tabs on things.

Any good used oil sample test will show fuel dilution and soot level. On the Detroit I referenced, it has never had fuel dilution of any kind, and soot levels have been below 1% at every oil change. So fuel dilution or soot are not making up for oil consumption loss. I have about 25 used oil sample test results on that engine and fuel dilution and soot have never been a problem. And with fuel dilution or soot at a level that would make up for oil consumption, engine wear metal numbers would be in the stratosphere also. Not there. Last oil sample at roughly 680,000 miles, iron/lead/tin/chromium/aluminum etc levels were all still in the same level range as a the first oil sample the engine had early on.

Edited by Cowpie

I have a 5.3 with 33k on it. Never have used any oil, just pulled my 5k camper again this weekend and again zero loss the dipstick has never changed throughout the 5k intervals. My 2cents

Further, I have no dog in this fight. I was originally responding to the statement that filters aren't synthetic.

Have a nice day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It could only turn out this way on an Internet forum anyway......Just watch what your statement turns into and the sickness that develops!

Where do I begin?

I mean look at what nonsense this has turned into. The guy claiming I can't formulate a sentence who obviously cannot read or comprehend what he is reading, because I have not used a Fram Oil filter or claimed too? My problem is and has been the gentleman who seemingly chimes in on everybody's comments as to you should read your "owner's manual"

Look, I change my F'N air filter every 10K along with the oil? Never told anybody that's what you should do or did I ever complain......I want to save money! My truck inhales talcum powder all day. Does my filter end up being changed a couple K early? Maybe, I don't really care it's easier for me to do it all at once....hopefully 12K will work on my next cycle! No, Steve I have no empirical data or scientifically validated results just my super sub human intelligent level directing me...................

As for I want to pound sand down my intake, or that's the reason I would never buy a used car is because of people like, "ME" statements......

Only on an internet forum people do you have this........Read the posts and view yourself how my 10K engine air filter replacement turns into any of that?

I used to spray the underbody and wheel wells on my vehicle every week. 1qty time a week in the "rust belt" of the USA during winter. As for the forum poster who recites the "Owners Manual" I am willing to bet GM probably states 1-2 times a year is all that is required unless and their disclaimer verbage.......Probably the same exact thing for the Damn Engine filter every so many thousands....unless dirty,dusty environments etc. So I went above and beyond in those situations and I am the idiot? Probably, the vehicles still rusted in the rust belt and my recent 1160 mile Phoenix to Santa Fe netted 22.7 mpg geared up and 4 people......

Please, I will just keep reading your rebuttals as my involvement is not necessary, I mean I am the guy who changes his engine air filter more frequently than the recommended manufactures statement.......total idiot here folks!

So, I splurge on the air filter and extend the OCI interval to recapture the expense. Great hopefully it evens out or becomes a net positive. End result is me not having to change the oil at 7.5K or I am at 5-10% left on my display which is 7K and that is not going to work for me and a waste of time and money!

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Haha 1

I live on dusty gravel roads and my 2015 2500 6.0 still has the same air filter that came from the factory. As I stated earlier, I install Filter Minder gauges on all my vehicles and equipment and only change the air filter when it starts to show some restriction on the gauge. If you are in dusty conditions, the best thing you can do is to run the air filter as long as you can. Air filers are more efficient at capturing particulates over time as they accumulate dirt and such, and less efficient dirt collectors when they are new.

And changing the air filter more frequently actually allows more dirt into the engine. And then offsetting the frequent air filter change cost by extending oil drains, that can lead to more build up of silicon (dirt) in the motor oil, as leaving the oil in there longer can actually be promoting more wear. You should consider reversing your maintenance methodology. But I have taken several engines to over 1 million miles without a major repair, so what do I know.

Edited by Cowpie

I work in an industry where we do not treat our trucks very well because basically it is not mine and work long hours. When working on dusty logging roads all day I will usually pull the filter and blow it out with an air compressor and throw it back in. We also never change oil when it should and use what ever is on contract when we do. Trade the trucks in every 3-5 years with 150k to 200k miles on them and never have problems with the engine or oil consumption. The biggest issues we face is with suspension. trans, and diffs. That is usually what needs attention when you are off road nearly everyday and the truck has seen a lot of miles.

• Thanks 1