New law against rolling coal in Colorado

Colossus

Normally I hate the idea of new laws being created, I think we have enough. But here is one I agree with! I just hope I don't get cited as when my Duramax starts a regen cycle, it will dump a bunch of white and light grey smoke out the exhaust for a few seconds. Which ticks me off because my 08 never did that in a regen cycle and now my dealer claims it is normal. HOGWASH. But I've complained about that a million times already.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/colorado-to-start-fining-people-caught-rolling-coal-what-you-need-to-know

Careful in what you wish for.....what if something happens to your diesel and causes it to run rich? Your never intended to roll coal, but get the nice government "tax" due to a more government oversight.

I never got that whole "coal rolling" thing. Like fuel doesn't cost enough already. All I see is $ coming out of the pipe(s).

Have you ever pulled in the mountains? A STOCK truck will smoke like a freight train...sounds like a way to make easy $$.

They will probably do random opacity tests like New Jersey...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure they will take into consideration those trucks that are actually working vs the idiots who just want to blacken up everything.

I can't remember my dad's last old rig that rolled the coal.

really no excuses.

if its tuned to roll the coal for dropping EGT, the motor was a bad design anyway.

I remember a 2 cylinder that had an excuse... in a Suzue tractor.

Grow up.

there is 550hp under little aero hoods in todays rigs. Use those as an example mother ship.

I do.. I love where it has evolved.

I can't remember my dad's last old rig that rolled the coal.

really no excuses.

if its tuned to roll the coal for dropping EGT, the motor was a bad design anyway.

I remember a 2 cylinder that had an excuse... in a Suzue tractor.

Grow up.

there is 550hp under little aero hoods in todays rigs. Use those as an example mother ship.

I do.. I love where it has evolved.

Today's trucks, yes...if they smoke, they have been tampered with because the DPF won't allow it.

My truck was an 04.5 Dodge, completely stock short exhaust at that time. At high altitudes it would smoke every gear change, and not just a little. It was nearly impossible to prevent while towing, it takes more time at those altitudes to build boost. I'm just thinking of driving around Colorado...

Again, sounds like a good money maker to me that will be used to nab unmodified trucks.

When a segment of the public goes out of their way to be a problem for others, it eventually leads to lawmaking. From what I've seen on youtube and other net vids, most of these guys get a kick out of making a cloud of black smoke to engulf people. Those vids on the newscast were obvious the truck owners intended to be a nuisance to others. I have no sympathy for them. Their a health and safety hazard, IMO.

I drove through a small midwest town some year back. Guy had an early 2nd Gen Dodge with a 12 valve mechanical Cummins. It was pouring out black smoke at a red light, idling, and got worse as he took off...the license plate read "old smokey". Obviously the pump plate had been modified to make the engine do that...I thought at the time "what a waste".

Programmers get people in trouble too. So many options, and any one can cause excessive smoke. My Smarty JR took several tries to get the setting right so it would only puff a little off a redlight...when I first installed it, I would fog an intersection because I had a habit of lugging with building a bunch of boost.

When a segment of the public goes out of their way to be a problem for others, it eventually leads to lawmaking. From what I've seen on youtube and other net vids, most of these guys get a kick out of making a cloud of black smoke to engulf people. Those vids on the newscast were obvious the truck owners intended to be a nuisance to others. I have no sympathy for them. Their a health and safety hazard, IMO.

This.

:happysad:

I'm never for any government regulations. While they all start out with good intentions, they ALWAYS get twisted around and punish those who are just trying to earn a living. The cash becomes too much of a fix, like heroin. Discretion is always abused, especially up here in the Northeast. One guy may rightfully be allowed to pass, while another gets his wallet raped. Even our Second Amendment rights in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts are allowed, or denied solely upon the whim of a police chief. Have a left-leaning chief, your rights get trampled. One guy might roll coal on purpose and be let go, because he's related to someone who works on Beacon Hill, or some other government agency, while another guy's truck is having injector problems, and the police officer had a bad day and doesn't want to hear the explanation.

I can just see someone hauling cars with a gooseneck trailer pulled over, because the truck was working hard on a grade pulling 20k lbs., and a million other similar scenarios.

What we need is a complete overhaul of government before laws like this are allowed to pass. Wishful thinking on my part ... :nonod:

Careful in what you wish for.....what if something happens to your diesel and causes it to run rich? Your never intended to roll coal, but get the nice government "tax" due to a more government oversight.

lmao yup

Have you ever pulled in the mountains? A STOCK truck will smoke like a freight train...sounds like a way to make easy $$.

They will probably do random opacity tests like New Jersey...

As a matter of fact, yes, many times. Sad thing about the these low quality pickup diesels. My pre-emission, remanned non DPF 12.7L Detroit in my semi will pull the hills with a GCW of nearly 80,000 lb and barely throw any smoke at all on the entire pull. Maybe a slight puff on a shift. Even with almost 700,000 miles on the engine reman it has only used 1 qt of oil in 15,000 miles since the last oil change. Not too bad for an almost 2 million mile engine that was originally built in 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this law is just going after the people who intentionally tamper with their trucks to "blacken the skies" and not go after the diesel trucks that are just passing through the state that very likely have a non high altitude stock tune on their truck, or residents that can prove that their truck is just having mechanical problems that will be rectified in the near future.

Archived