Borla XR-1 questions?

I have debated long enough on which muffler to get on my '14 Silverado LTZ 6.2L. I think I'm gonna go with Borla's XR-1 muffler. My plan is to purchase the muffler and an order me a 5" tip to dump it after the rear axle. I can't decide to leave the resonator and flapper, or just cut out the flapper? I just like the look of a clean. truck. Also, gonna debadge it here soon.

On my old truck, which is pictured in my signature. I had a Flowmaster Super 10 dumped over my rear axle with the 5" tip. It sounded great. I love the deep tone it had. Wasn't too loud and such, I loved it. Drone was acceptable. I listen to a lot of music anyways.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Did you ever get this installed? I'm looking at the exact same muffler for my 6.2 Sierra and am curious about results.

Yeah man that's what I went with. I've had it on since June 23rd. Sounds great, kinda loud. But nothing too extreme. I love it!

I took off off the resonator and flapper too. Got it dumped over my rear axle with a 5" tip.

1ce9de4d77e013f56ad1c407b7dbbe24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah man that's what I went with. I've had it on since June 23rd. Sounds great, kinda loud. But nothing too extreme. I love it!

I took off off the resonator and flapper too. Got it dumped over my rear axle with a 5" tip.

1ce9de4d77e013f56ad1c407b7dbbe24.jpg

Looks good. I ordered the 40946 earlier today from Summit. I plan to keep the adaptive valve and the resonator and the factory stainless tip. Just a straight muffler swap. Hopefully that will tame it just a little. I don't want a whole lot of cabin noise. What's the noise like in the cab with it dumped? Any of the dreaded V4 chop? Thanks for your feedback.

Looks good. I ordered the 40946 earlier today from Summit. I plan to keep the adaptive valve and the resonator and the factory stainless tip. Just a straight muffler swap. Hopefully that will tame it just a little. I don't want a whole lot of cabin noise. What's the noise like in the cab with it dumped? Any of the dreaded V4 chop? Thanks for your feedback.

You can definitely tell you're not using the stock exhaust setup anymore. The drone is acceptable, not terrible. Sounds pretty good when you're getting up to speed. Hmm, I get the V4 chop some. Eventually gonna tune it and turn V4 off.

Hey i dont know if you all have any experience with this or not but i figure ill give it a go and maybe get lucky. I have a 2015 silverado 1500 high country 5.3L i just purchased last month and turns out my friend has a borla exhaust kickin around (PN 19329327) he says may fit. I looked it up and its for a suburban same year and engine. Any chance that can fit my truck? It goes for just over $1,000 new and hes offered to give it to me for $200 still in the original packaging! Any of you guys ever swap one over or line it up to see if it can be fitted with a little modification?

Much appreciated!

Hey i dont know if you all have any experience with this or not but i figure ill give it a go and maybe get lucky. I have a 2015 silverado 1500 high country 5.3L i just purchased last month and turns out my friend has a borla exhaust kickin around (PN 19329327) he says may fit. I looked it up and its for a suburban same year and engine. Any chance that can fit my truck? It goes for just over $1,000 new and hes offered to give it to me for $200 still in the original packaging! Any of you guys ever swap one over or line it up to see if it can be fitted with a little modification?

Much appreciated!

First of all, welcome to the forums. The wheelbase of a suburban/yukon xl is 130". Assuming your high country is a crew cab short bed, the wheelbase of your truck is 143.5". All the pipe bends would be in the wrong place to clear the rear axle and other components. The hangers would also have to be modified. You may be able to use just the muffler and adaptive valve portion of the system and have a shop do a custom set up from the muffler back. But you would probably be better off just taking that $200 and investing in a muffler swap. Just my opinion, and I'm no expert.

Thank you for the welcome and response! So assuming your calculations are correct (and im not disputing them by any means because im new to GM vehicles) the high country (which is a crew cab short bed btw) is 13.5" longer than the suburban. Would it not be possible to fix up an intermediate pipe as an extension to fill the gap where the suburban exhaust is too short?