Battery volt meter going down after tuning on ac

I noticed today when I turned the a.c. on the volts drop to around 12 when I don't its past 14. Is that normal. Everything still runs normal and nothing dims or acts like it's running out of power. Anyone else have this going on? 2008 Silverado with a 5.3

GM introduced that variable charging system around that time and the charging is based on battery state of health and load. If you leave the A/C on does it ever go up past 12 volts while it's running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Justin said it's supposed to do that. Also that gauge is not battery voltage, it's charging system voltage. If you read the manual it explains it. The voltage will vary anywhere between 12V to 14.4V. It has to do with fuel mileage and making your batteries last longer (charging a hot battery at 14.4V for an extended period will kill the battery quicker).

It can fluctuate and as long as it doesn't drop below 12V you are fine.

GM introduced that variable charging system around that time and the charging is based on battery state of health and load. If you leave the A/C on does it ever go up past 12 volts while it's running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Archived