Exhaust whistle.

Had an exhaust shop install a borla muffler and a twin tip side exit tail pipe. I decided to leave the flapper and the resonator as I don't want any drone. First test run at between 3500-4000 rpm under a load it had a crazy whistle noise. Almost like tires squealing. Took it back and they test drove it, came back tacked the flapper open and drove it again. They said it went away, so I said cut it off. They did, didn't charge me and it was closing time. So back on the road with a heavy down pour and traffic like crazy I couldn't really give it a real test for a while.

So rain, and traffic lets up and get back into it. Whistle is still there, but a little closer to 4000 rpms. After getting home I fired up three Google fu and found some other people having the same issue but other brand vehicles. Turns out their noise was coming from the tips. So stuffed a rag in forward most tip and took it for a test hit. No whistle, so I'll be back to the shop tomorrow for a new tip. Bummer to cause I liked the look of the twin tip.

Her is what the tip looks like, not the actual one.

post-167554-0-79069300-1495506864_thumb.jpg

Had an exhaust shop install a borla muffler and a twin tip side exit tail pipe. I decided to leave the flapper and the resonator as I don't want any drone. First test run at between 3500-4000 rpm under a load it had a crazy whistle noise. Almost like tires squealing. Took it back and they test drove it, came back tacked the flapper open and drove it again. They said it went away, so I said cut it off. They did, didn't charge me and it was closing time. So back on the road with a heavy down pour and traffic like crazy I couldn't really give it a real test for a while.

So rain, and traffic lets up and get back into it. Whistle is still there, but a little closer to 4000 rpms. After getting home I fired up three Google fu and found some other people having the same issue but other brand vehicles. Turns out their noise was coming from the tips. So stuffed a rag in forward most tip and took it for a test hit. No whistle, so I'll be back to the shop tomorrow for a new tip. Bummer to cause I liked the look of the twin tip.

Her is what the tip looks like, not the actual one.

attachicon.gifCOR-14523-2.jpg

Keep the tips - have them block one off or try the washer trick - does look sick.......

Man I do like the look. I'm surprised the shop has never run into this. They are well established with good reviews. I'll mention the washers answer see what they think. Wish I had a picture of the washer install.

Man I do like the look. I'm surprised the shop has never run into this. They are well established with good reviews. I'll mention the washers answer see what they think. Wish I had a picture of the washer install.

What you don't want to rev your engine at the girls and whistle at them at the same time?????

:dunno:

After trying a different angle to have the exhaust enter the tip more straight on it still whistled. I was keen on baffling the tip. So ended up switching to a single black tip. No more whistle. Overall happy with the sound and the shop never charged me any extra.

Old tip.attachicon.gifIMG_20170523_093652286_HDR_zpskqwbvtw0.jpg

New tip.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170523_184416546_HDR_zpskywmjx89.jpg

Yea what muffler - and how is the chopper and drone - any? Double tips seem Ford to me anyway.....

After trying a different angle to have the exhaust enter the tip more straight on it still whistled. I was keen on baffling the tip. So ended up switching to a single black tip. No more whistle. Overall happy with the sound and the shop never charged me any extra.

Where the old tips the problem? I would possibly buy them if they weren't the problem. That's if you still have them.

Archived