Reversing - wheel turned - popping/clicking noise 2017

Just as the headline suggests I have a problem when reversing the truck with the wheel turned 50-100%. 2WD, 2017 GMC Sierra. There's loud popping/clicking coming from the suspension up front... I believe.

I'll be taking it in but I wanted to be educated on what the problem might be when I drop it off for warranty work.

Any thoughts on what to look for is appreciated.

Just as the headline suggests I have a problem when reversing the truck with the wheel turned 50-100%. 2WD, 2017 GMC Sierra. There's loud popping/clicking coming from the suspension up front... I believe.

I'll be taking it in but I wanted to be educated on what the problem might be when I drop it off for warranty work.

Any thoughts on what to look for is appreciated.

Upper balljoint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of noise? Mine does it sometimes in reverse as well. I'll post a video...

It does sound and feel like a ball joint but it appears to only do it after the joints are cooled down. Just took the tech for a test drive and it didn't do it after being warmed up. The problem occurs 100% of the time when sitting and only when the wheel is turned left. We'll see if they can re-create the problem after it sits for a bit in their lot. It's a loud popping sound as if a joint was trying to pop out its housing... if that makes any sense.

It does sound and feel like a ball joint but it appears to only do it after the joints are cooled down. Just took the tech for a test drive and it didn't do it after being warmed up. The problem occurs 100% of the time when sitting and only when the wheel is turned left. We'll see if they can re-create the problem after it sits for a bit in their lot. It's a loud popping sound as if a joint was trying to pop out its housing... if that makes any sense.

Those were exactly my symptoms. Would only do it cold. Mine went around 12k miles, had it leveled at around 8k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Updates??

• 2 weeks later...

Updates??

GMC couldn't re-produce the problem and it still happens to me every day when backing up and turning the wheel. I'll eventually have to take it back in or take video to prove the issue. I don't blame the tech... I couldn't make it happen the ONE day I took it to the dealer. I'll park the truck, go into work, leave for lunch and it will do it 100% of the time. Park it, leave work in the evening and it happens 100% of the time. Get in the truck to go to work in the morning, back out of the driveway and it happens 100% of the time. I've been doing everything I can to NOT back up with the wheel turned because the sound of the clicking/popping makes me feel like I'm doing damage to something in the suspension. I'll try to stay on top of the problem and report back but I won't find time to deal with the dealership for another month or two.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it is not a silverado but I also own a Jeep GC that does the exact same thing and has been doing it since I bought it new 5 years ago. Only does it when backing out of the garage and turning sharply right. Rest of the day you can't make it do it if you want to.

Rear leaf springs popping. Typically happens after you have done some burnouts and the axle wrap throws the leaf springs out of alignment. Got to get yourself some traction bars man.

chassis5.gif

How are those back tires looking?

Rear leaf springs popping. Typically happens after you have done some burnouts and the axle wrap throws the leaf springs out of alignment. Got to get yourself some traction bars man.

chassis5.gif

How are those back tires looking?

Which post are you replying to?

had the same popping noise on my 2014 which had a RC 2.5 level

Dealer was kind enough to replace all sorts of things like steering gears, arms, entire front suspension and it would still /click--pop.Took off the level and it stopped. My 2016 has a 1.5 level and knock on wood has not done anything . IMO it has to do with the level and I think 1.5 might be the limit, but I certainly am no expert.