Reversing - wheel turned - popping/clicking noise 2017

Try removing skid plate or tighten up the four bolts. silly but that was my issue. it drove me batty four several months. haha. I thought it was lube, ball joints, pitman, steering. nope all wrong, if you removed the skid plate or if not try to tighten up the bolts and forget it. You might also put a little grease between the skid plate and chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped the truck off for oil change, tire rotation, and to check the popping noise again. We're at 80 days, 6,600 miles now.

Just got a call from the dealership service department saying my issue was within the steering rack itself and they were replacing it.

Hope this resolves it, will update when I get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been most of our problems with popping noise from front suspension on these trucks, my truck developed this around 38k miles. still does it at 44k - i can't justify replacing the rack just for this reason as that is the only symptom I have, but I would have happily taken a replacement while under warranty haha

Dropped the truck off for oil change, tire rotation, and to check the popping noise again. We're at 80 days, 6,600 miles now.

Just got a call from the dealership service department saying my issue was within the steering rack itself and they were replacing it.

• 5 weeks later...

Had the steering rack replaced both on my 04 and 08. Think there has to be some sort of defect in the design on the one that is used in those body styles. Maybe one of the reasons that GM went with electric power steering with the current body style.

Hello,

Just wondering if any updates or fixes on this. Mine is doing this. :sigh:

I would push to have the steering rack replaced. The tech told me they had done a couple already.

I have a few pops coming from the new rack but nothing like the original one. It was popping every day, now it's sporadic. I've got approx 3,000 miles on the replacement part and it seems ok, will continue to monitor.

• 4 months later...

So the thing that is in common with all these issues of things popping and coming loose is the friggin frame. Skinny metal maybe, lower grade China steel to cut cost could easily cause the frame to flex more than it should. Pushing and pulling the things that bolt to it. My thoughts are buy another frame or truck. Or better yet, ask GM if they are using cheaper steel in the trucks. What do you think?  Anyway. Just a thought. 

On 5/25/2017 at 3:14 PM, glendon66 said:

It does sound and feel like a ball joint but it appears to only do it after the joints are cooled down. Just took the tech for a test drive and it didn't do it after being warmed up. The problem occurs 100% of the time when sitting and only when the wheel is turned left. We'll see if they can re-create the problem after it sits for a bit in their lot. It's a loud popping sound as if a joint was trying to pop out its housing... if that makes any sense.

Reading this post made me remember that my truck started to do make that noise "pop" only when the truck had been sitting all night and i get in to my truck and turn the wheel all the way to left to get out of my spot and it make 3 suddle pops/clicks....is this something worth looking it?

• 3 months later...

I came across this post and wondering if anyone has resolved their problem...

I'm looking for any clues related to a popping or banging coming from Right front side of my 2017 GMC Denali, It seem to happen when I back out of my drive way which at an incline and turning my wheels right, I also hear it when turning right into the driveway at work. I've taking it into the dealer to have them check it out and they really didn't find anything making the noise but they said they tightened the tie rods and suspension bolts. I've also gone onto the GMC customer web site and sent an email to GMC complaining to see if I can get some feedback I know that's may be a little far fetched but you never know. I love truck but as much as it cost I should not be hearing these kinds of noises.

• 1 month later...

Just had this fixed at GMC Dealer.  2016 Sierra 4WD.  Suspension pops when in reverse while turning steering wheel.  Did this all the time, sometimes louder when reversing onto incline (backing into up hill driveway) or going over bump at low speed but not all the time but, never while at higher speed 20mph +.  I swore it was the front suspension or drive line.  After 3 times telling me it was leaf springs and could not be fixed, service manager agreed to try fix this on a 2nd truck (they fixed one so far with this).  They installed (4) part number 20870046 insulator pad.  He said they installed thicker rubber pads in leaf springs.  Believe it or not, fixed mine!  No more suspension noise. 

Edited by LJS2006GMC
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi just to follow up with my original post, the dealer finally got the issue fixed, they said they found that the coil spring on the left front was loose and slipping out out of place when I would turn right causing the banging noise.

Roger

• Like 1