2500hd Battery Relocation

Yea its in a weird spot.The ground post was difficult to get to for sure. We added another battery in the spare tray for my winch and its easier to access. I guess you could move it but you would have to extend or rewire the battery leads.

Edited by crankman

Just a guess but I am guessing the batteries are all getting pushed back towards the cab so there is less of a chance of them gettmg smashed in a front end crash which would lead to leaking battery acid. Most new vehicles seem to have them back futher now from what I have noticed....

When Dodge introduced this in the 2003 2500/3500, they claimed it was to better distribute weight buy putting it behind the axle and to help ride quality...the previous generation was out on the nose, the later generation was back by the cab.

If you consider that each battery weighs near to 75 pounds, I can see that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Why do you want to move it? :happysad:

Too hard to get to to change, jump and too much crap back in that corner in general. Imagine trying to change when it's -20 and you're outside. It just doesn't make sense back there. My older trucks were out front. Why re-invent the wheel?

Too hard to get to to change, jump and too much crap back in that corner in general. Imagine trying to change when it's -20 and you're outside. It just doesn't make sense back there. My older trucks were out front. Why re-invent the wheel?

A simple way to avoid jumping, changing at -20. Don't wait until the battery dies, just replace it every 4 or 5 years. You will have to replace it sooner or later so why wait for it to die. This is what I do and changing the battery in nice weather every 4 or 5 years is the way to go IMO. Besides you just work the hell out of your alternator when it's dying. :happysad:

I tried to modify a marine battery box to fit there as covered, kind of waterproof storage, but by the time I hacked the box up to fit there was no room to put anything in it. I'm used to an F350 with 2 group 65 batteries. These are 1/2 the size. The new LED lights help a lot, the last truck was a Diesel with lots of aftermarket draw stuff, it ate batteries and alts like candy, finally added another alt from the ambulance package and it worked....2 185 amp alts.

BTDT

I wonder how much copper wire they save by using shorter cables?

• Like 1

A simple way to avoid jumping, changing at -20. Don't wait until the battery dies, just replace it every 4 or 5 years. You will have to replace it sooner or later so why wait for it to die. This is what I do and changing the battery in nice weather every 4 or 5 years is the way to go IMO. Besides you just work the hell out of your alternator when it's dying. :happysad:

How about 2 & a half years & then dealing w/ the useless batteries Crappy Tire sells here in Canada. One lasted less than 2 months in my last truck.

How about 2 & a half years & then dealing w/ the useless batteries Crappy Tire sells here in Canada. One lasted less than 2 months in my last truck.

I don't like dealing with Crappy Tire either. I think you would be better off going to an Avenue Auto or Bay Auto. That's who I use for generic parts over here in Simcoe County. I don't know if those places are on your area. You can ask at a friendly service garage, they may tell you who they buy parts from. The part sellers usually will sell to the public just not as good of a discount as the garages get. Crappy Tire is incredibly frustrating with the minimum wage parts counter help. Or should I say parts counter NO help:)

I don't like dealing with Crappy Tire either. I think you would be better off going to an Avenue Auto or Bay Auto. That's who I use for generic parts over here in Simcoe County. I don't know if those places are on your area. You can ask at a friendly service garage, they may tell you who they buy parts from. The part sellers usually will sell to the public just not as good of a discount as the garages get. Crappy Tire is incredibly frustrating with the minimum wage parts counter help. Or should I say parts counter NO help:)

Normally I don't buy parts there either, but I figure, what can go wrong w/ a battery? Totalled up, it cost me over 500 bucks to replace the OEM battery. The last (3rd installed in truck) Crappy Tire battery I almost threw it @ the counter person when they asked me if I wanted a replacement.

When the initial CTC battery failed after a year of service, I took the truck to my dealer, thinking it was a charging system issue. No problem w/ the truck, but the battery had a dead cell.

Wrote a letter to head office w/ all the documentation & some azzhat called me and offered me a $100 gift card for my troubles. Needless to say I declined it. I told the guy I was hanging up before I said something that I'd regret. Since then, I've more or less stopped shopping for anything there.

So much for the wonderful batteries the bald moron extols on their TV ads.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1