Good article regarding oil consumption

I have been hearing the BG radio advertisements it starts with a little jingle "I want my mileage back" I was wondering when it would go mainstream but that info looks a bit suspicious to me like snake oil LOL. I just had a snake oil encounter last Friday. If you have time read away below......

2014 HVAC 14 SEER heat pump system that I put in at my mothers crib stopped cooling and evaporator coil froze up. My hobby is HVAC repairs so I goes and checks it all out. Found a stuck Thermostatic expansion Valve so I call my favorite supply house and counter boy tells me all about the bad rust inhibitor that Copeland compressor used in 2013 and 2014 compressors. Apparently it combines with the refrigerant and oil and forms a sludge and clogs up the TXV valves. Now the KICKER is they recommend trying a Calgon product called AC Renew claim that it works to free up the TXV in 90% of the cases and is provided free if your compressor has a certain date on it. Well come to find out this particular compressor mysteriously did not qualify. I bought a 4 ounce container of Calgon AC renew (SNAKE OIL) at 80 dollars. Now to properly inject the snake oil you have to have a special injector (111 bones) So I bite and believe the song and dance and buy it. I mean heck it might work and to change out a TXV is a real PITA (TXV is 167 bones) I put in the snake oil and NOTHING happens, gave it 4 days to mix in manipulated the TXV sensing bulb hot/cold ran the unit in heat mode etc NADA NOTHING. Just finished the TXV change out BIG PITA. So I am real suspicious of Snake Oil type products right now. Seems like I can still hear that BG commercial jingle " i want my mileage back"

fake.

the filter is always the oil.

My first truck in 1989, was a 74 ford. STP racked it over 3 times...a lot of blow by.

those gimmicks are gone now.

as odds had it I got a job at a quick lube, early 90s, while I was a part time crew chief in the air guard. Most of my job was petroleums.. oils, fuels, filters.

even saw a c5 engine fail into a loud bang, chunks flying.

I went billet filter upon my own learning.

you could have the most antique dinosaur on earth with 2 dollar oil..and a billet filter is going to get you miles.

the stainless mesh.

I have a 305 that was doing great on oil, about 1k miles a quart. 361k ont he odometer.. but it may be the 3rd engine for all i know. It is in excellent shape, not original for sure.

I gave it a billet filter, stainless mesh inside. Before I could let imagination take over.. 2 years later it is at 1800 miles a quart. I must have let some rings back out. Full oil pressure by the book, an oil cooler that actually works.. and those engines need a drain back at least once and awhile to tell you nothing is smeared in the crank.

The nonsense is done.

need a miracle? start with a damn filter that works.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hearing the low piston ring tension ad on Sirius XM too. Sounded like the usual 'sketchy' product aimed @ car owners that wouldn't know a spark plug from a wheel stud.

Yeah well, when it comes to additives, I'll stand behind the BG products vs anything else out there.

Your a diesel guy so I assume you have more use of the BG products........After deciding no diesel for me I will have to suffice with the OL 5.3 gasser! Only problem was it's a GDI and I never owned one before..........Anyway, I decided I needed to do something as I am going to be pounding the miles on this and watching family members bring their GDI's literally to a crawl.....I started to sniff around......And keep finding a pattern BG and the Gear Head people I know ASE certified at local dealerships used BG too.

I knew I was not willing to pay the prices for the services so I opted to purchase on my own......

I have now received a used oil Analysis using BG products.......Did my own experiment/data on their EPR....and used the 44K fuel treatment! As Colossus mentioned I agree 100% with him. GDI engines are a slightly different animal and these products have given me results. I find them simple and easy to use and will be using on my GDI engine for sure.

Hooking it up to a machine and pumping in your oil through where the filter goes is all neat and cool but probably does nothing........you can spin on oil filters all day long with today's engines and not dry fire? So that is silly but the products no doubt work and soon more forum users will be using........The results will speak for themselves......

Yeah well, when it comes to additives, I'll stand behind the BG products vs anything else out there.

I've been around automobiles since the mid 70s & had never heard of them until the Sirius ads.

Better than ZMax products?

Archived