Remove stock wheel center cap

Can you remove the stock GMC wheel center cap without removing the wheel? Did a dumb thing and put one on but am not finished painting it. I'm thinking I could get in there with a dental pick or somthing.

Don't want to scratch the wheel as I just got it powder coated and I'm painting the centers to match.

If you think of it before hand, put some fishing line around the center cap. Then you can pull the cap right off. I did that while I was waiting for new center caps to arrive but wanted to put winter rims on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by ShamrockShooter

I'm in the same position, I bought a set of pick tools, I'm going to try that. (I think that's what they call it) I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't unless you don't care about scratches. It should take you 15 minutes to pop the wheel off and remove it the correct way. Or try some high strength double sided tape, but you might have trouble with residue from tape.

• Like 1

I'm using a plastic prying bar first to put it against the powder coated wheel then pull it with the hook pick..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it works post some pics

Thanks. I bought a set of picks and will try (carefully), or might try the tape.

I have a feeling I will be taking the wheel off though. I just wanted to see if my paint job matched the powder coating.

Thanks. I bought a set of picks and will try (carefully), or might try the tape.

I have a feeling I will be taking the wheel off though. I just wanted to see if my paint job matched the powder coating.

Might be too close a fit for a pry tool.

Tape the edge of the rim where the tool will touch with a few layers of masking tape, to prevent scratching or chipping. Cleaned mine and used Gorilla duct tape to pull the center cap away enough to get a screwdrive underneath to pry off.

What's a good tool to remove this style center cap shown below?

I popped them off with the OEM lug wrench wrapped in a rag. Must be something better - want to be able to pop them off damage free before any tire work - so the tire monkeys don't jack up the caps or wheels.

I checked the lug nut torque - I know for aftermarket wheels they have you check them after 50 miles. And did have wheel lugs loosen up once on new wheels (2010 MINI Cooper). So figure why not check wheels on a new rig.

Crimany 140 ft lbs same as my 2500HD Duramax was........

post-168136-0-31468600-1495657448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krusty

I had success with a plastic 20oz. pop bottle that I covered the bottom end with 3M molding tape

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape-1-2-034-x-15-039-/231700477648?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item35f26cb6d0:g:r88AAOSwpDdVfZ9a

and pressed it really hard against the installed center cap. Gave it a swift pull and out the cap came. I was able to remove all four caps without replacing any tape. Then I stuck that bottle up on the wall as a reminder of how good that tape is.

• Like 1