Driving the Rockies: HELP

HawkeyeSierra

Heading to Grand Canyon from Iowa in 2 weeks. I've never driven mountain roads before. I was really looking forward to it until I talked to a buddy who's lived in Colorado. He got me all worked up by telling me horror stories.

So what do I need to know about climbing and descending mountain roads? 2015 Sierra Double cab 4x4 with 5.3 and 3.42 gears. Not pulling anything, but I'm concerned about wrecking my brakes on the way down.

It's best to lock it down to a lower gear, so it doesn't hunt gears climbing grades. Then leave it in that gear coming back down and the engine will keep the pickup slowed down, so you'll rarely have to hit the brakes.

Driving in the mountains is a blast!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

never a bad idea to take some stops (where you safely can) when going down steep grades. some mtns in colorado have check points going down where they test brake temp and if its over a certain temp you have to pull over and wait for them to cool off

good luck and enjoy the views!!!

Use tow haul and or manual gear selection on the downhill leg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Was wondering about this. Using tow/haul will also enable grade braking, correct?

Manual gears on way up and tow/haul going down?

If you have grade braking, that's even better. Between that and being locked down a gear or two, you might have to hit the brakes 2 or 3 times on the steepest part of I70. I don't know how the newer pickups are, but I'd assume 5th gear will give you plenty of power going up. You'll find the transmission stays cooler the less it has to change gears.

I would not recommend stopping on a grade at any point. Stopping completely will actually heat your brakes up. Disc brakes cool down fastest when the vehicle is moving.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have lived in Colorado for 32 years.

This route? I80-I76-I70- ? 50, 550,191,89

I 70 from Denver to one of those roads will be the the mountain drive with the Eisenhower Tunnel your big pull/decline.

550 is a great road, Telluride and Silverton are a must if you have the time and go that way.

You can leave it in drive for the climbs and let it do it's thing. Use manual to control your decent speed instead of your brakes.

I have a 2012 6 speed trans. I drive it in the mountains like a stick in manual mode. Most times in 4th gear, down shift to 3rd if needed. There are areas where the trans will shift up and down a lot due to the terrain changes. So as mentioned pick a gear and go with it.

No big deal, just drive how you're comfortable. Enjoy. :happysad:

You'll be fine...because you're a cautious enough guy to ask. I know that means you'll drive with caution.

That and my wife will smack me one if I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a trip through the mountains. San Jose -> Sequoia Natinoal Park/Kings Canyon -> Yosemite -> South Lake Tahoe -> San Francisco.

We went through some pretty steep and curvy roads throughout or trip (1600 miles total in 10 days). We had to rent a '17 Surburban since we had 6 people + luggage. Since it had the 6-speed I used tow/haul quite a bit through the mountains and it worked great along with the grade braking feature. I used manual mode when we went down the really steep stuff but for the most part just left it in tow/haul and it worked perfectly.

On a side-note: I loved the hill start assist in San Francisco! I have been there a few times but never driven and that was a lifesaver when having to stop on some of those ridculously steep hills.

I have an '08 Silverado so I don't have any of those features on my truck. After driving the Surburban it really makes me want to get a new truck.

Was wondering about this. Using tow/haul will also enable grade braking, correct?

Manual gears on way up and tow/haul going down?

Just use tow/haul, step on the brakes a couple times to get it to drop a gear or two. And use snub braking, don't ride them.

I didn't find the mountains all that concerning, the roads go around them and through passes for a reason...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What is snub braking?

Applying the brakes firmly and slowing 5 to 10 mph (or more), then releasing and allowing speed to coast back up that 10mph, then reapplying the brakes firmly to slow back down again...this will prevent brake overheating and brake fade...CDL101.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived