Driving the Rockies: HELP

HawkeyeSierra

If you have grade braking you're set. I love that feature, it helps a lot with braking downhill. Whenever I come back down Casper Mountain it kicks in shortly after I begin descending, and I can modulate it with the brakes (like if I want the trans to downshift I tap the brakes). That and the great advice you've already received.

Leave it in tow/haul when going up and down the mountains and you'll be smiling. You'll only touch the brakes when some moron cuts you off on I-70.

How so? Road condition? Traffic? Might be headed that way later this summer.

Pot holes, road condition not great.

:rant: Came through Vail and check engine light and stabili-track light came on, and truck started running rough with clunky shifting. It was after 7 and no dealership was open. I figured with all the up and down shifting perhaps trans is over heated. Pulled over for about 30 minutes. Light still on.

Continued on to our campsite at Rifle Gap State park. No cell service there, so made plans to hit the road at 5:30 AM and get back to I-70 where I can get a signal and find the nearest dealership. Finally located the nearest GM dealer in Glenwood Springs, about 30 minutes away. Followed my GPS which led me to the middle of nowhere. Called to get directions and finally made it to the dealer a few minutes after they opened. Gave the service department my sob story of being 600 miles away from home on a family vacation. They said they would get me in ASAP. 90 minutes later I was out the door with truck running perfectly. Spark plug wire knocked loose. I blame the I-70 potholes, but who knows.

:rant:

If you think the pot holes are bad on I-70, you should see them in Denver!

I can only imagine. Fortunately, Trail Ridge Road took us around Denver.

Archived